Do you bring your light with you every dive?

Do you bring your light with you every dive

• Yes

Votes: 138 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 15.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MKrauter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Specifically those using can lights but I'd appreciate anyone's answer.

Do you take your primary light on every dive, including those where its use wouldn't be readily apparent (i.e.: during the day).

Whatever the answer is, why?

I have my can light all the time. Back up light all the time. Generally a focus light on the camera.

I am not sure how you can say "wouldn't be readily apparently" during the day, have you ever tried? Here in the PWN while you don't always "need" a light but it is fairly dark here. They are great for buddy communication.

In bright water, "tropic", we still carry them. Unlike locally we don't generally keep them turned on all the time, but switch them on and off as need. There is lots to see even "during the day" that a light will help with.

We do use 7' primary hoses so it makes routing them easier. I know you can belt tuck but it always seems to slide around on me. Maybe we are weird taking ours on "bright water day dives" but they enhance our diving so we will continue to do it.

I leave the can light at home on shallow, clear reef dives, but I still bring an XP scout with me. Anything else and i bring the can.

I have my can light all the time. Back up light all the time. Generally a focus light on the camera.

I am not sure how you can say "wouldn't be readily apparently" during the day, have you ever tried? Here in the PWN while you don't always "need" a light but it is fairly dark here. They are great for buddy communication.

In bright water, "tropic", we still carry them. Unlike locally we don't generally keep them turned on all the time, but switch them on and off as need. There is lots to see even "during the day" that a light will help with.

We do use 7' primary hoses so it makes routing them easier. I know you can belt tuck but it always seems to slide around on me. Maybe we are weird taking ours on "bright water day dives" but they enhance our diving so we will continue to do it.

For those diving HID lights (where the advice I've gotten is, turn it on at the start of the dive and turn it off at the safety stop) what would you suggest? Also, do you have it deployed in your hand or just clipped off?

At home, I carry my light every day, dive or night; it's my primary method of communicating with my buddies. In the tropics, I vacillate . . . Last Maui trip, I didn't take my light (although I carried a backup for peeking in holes) and I did sort of miss it. It really does bring out colors in a wonderful way, and also can show up variations in relief that have helped me find some cryptic critters in the past.

Edited to add that my lights are HID, and when I take one, it runs through the whole dive, and is deployed on my left hand unless I'm doing something where I would normally use a temporary stow.

I generally always have a small light for looking in holes. If I ever get lost in the ocean and they don't find me during the daylight hours, I know I would want to have a light to signal a helicopter or search boat. If the weather (atmospheric visibility) is decent, a dive light at night would be incredibly important.

I rarely night dive. I will only bring a light during the day if I know the viz will be bad enough to cause a safety issue-- regardless of depth of the dive (ei., I was in Texas once and knew the viz would be bad and a risk of fishing line entanglement). But that is also a rarity. I almost never bring it on boat dives, even deep ones. The bottom time is short and I don't find the need to look deep into/under crevaces in wrecks to find shells-- it may help, but there will be others easily within sight.

I always take my backup light (600 lumens). My primary (1,000 lumen) only night, low viz, or wrecks. or bug hunting

Really no such thing as "Day-diving" in Norway half the year. With the exception of a couple of hrs a day, there is mostly dusk/dawn around here. Add a bit of clouds, it is pretty much dark any time of day.
So... i always keep my primary and to secondaries with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom