Bill's diving rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
(Instructors take note.)

Rule 1) Diving is not about how many photos you make, how many skills you have, or how many dives you've done. First and foremost, diving is about having fun with your dive buddy / partner, and coming back safely.

Rule 2 & beyond) Everything else that everyone else has said.

- Bill
(Who wishes he had figured this out earlier.)

I would revise your rule #1 to read "First and foremost, diving is about having fun and coming back safely." I dive solo because having a dive buddy/partner severely decreases my enjoyment as well as my safety.

Of course my dives are all about fun (even though they are W-O-R-K) but beyond my personal fun is the intent to capture images and experiences that I can share with those who look at my images, read my columns, watch my DVDs or cable TV show. My goal is to share the underwater world with others who appreciate it, especially the non-divers who may never see it for themselves.

Rule 1)[-] Diving is not about how many photos you make, how many skills you have, or how many dives you've done. [/-]First and foremost, diving is about [-]having fun with your dive buddy / partner, and[/-] coming back safely.

Too wordy, when making rules stick to the important part.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

(Instructors take note.)

Rule 1) Diving is not about how many photos you make, how many skills you have, or how many dives you've done. First and foremost, diving is about having fun with your dive buddy / partner, and coming back safely.

Rule 2 & beyond) Everything else that everyone else has said.

- Bill
(Who wishes he had figured this out earlier.)

I'd say rule 1 is "Come back safely"
Some people may value photos, getting skills done, or increasing their numbers over fun. Who are you to tell them what to value? (I'll tell you, dive #3 for me was NOT fun. It was about getting the damn skill done. Dive #7 was freezing cold with no visibility, but we stayed under and swam for 30 minutes so it "counted" as a dive. NOT fun.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom