Ediz Hook, Port Angeles dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabat

Contributor
Reaction score
Ediz Hook, Port Angeles, WA

The wife and I did a one tank dive yesterday at Ediz Hook. Sky was partly cloudy, slight breeze and changing tide at about 10:30 am. The site was next to the radio tower an on the harbor side of the hook. From the truck to the water was about a 25 ft walk. We did a surface swim to the three piles about 35 yards from the shore and dropped down to 10 feet to double check all our equipment.

We tied off the dive flag to a rope that was wrapped around the bottom of the middle pile and swam along the bottom to the submerged log piles that litter the area. Port Angeles harbor was/is used for the logging industry and while I don’t know the history yet there are a lot of submerged logs that are piled all over the bottom. The logs start about 20 ft deep and from what I heard continue on down to 100 feet.

We were in about 15 ft of viz and pretty happy with the conditions. Getting to the logs we swam around just enjoying the scenery. The logs seemed pretty stable but I was not about to stick my head, arm, hands into the gaps. As it was there was enough to see with doing so. We saw the usual NW critters, rock fish, greenlings, anemones, etc. Came across a mass of white eggs and was trying to determine what they were when a 3 ft ling cod swam out of a crack and stared at us. Tried to get a picture but after deciding we were not going to eat the eggs the ling swam back into the gap.

Noticed a lot of crab and shell fish remains so we are guessing that the octopus population is fairly healthy. Did not see any though. Ended the dive seeing a lemon nudi and a buried crab.

Swimming back to shore the sun came out and viz jumped up another 5 feet. A fun dive overall but we will remember to use the restroom down the road BEFORE suiting up and doing our dive. Also will remember that the silt layer is thick and it does not take much to stir it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom