Got any shark stories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure-Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
blacktipsharks.png

I was reading some replies on the bangstick thread and came across divers who said they haven't seen sharks on their dives. On Guam, it was very common to see black tip and white tip sharks. Occasionally we'd see a Tiger Shark or Hammerhead.

We had a rule about hunting around sharks. If we spotted two or more in the area, we'd get out. We could keep an eye on one shark. The visibility was often excellant. Two sharks swimming around was too unpredictable and we'd stop.

On one free diving trip I was on I'd shot a small reef fish and as I went to grab the spear I felt a shark bump up against my wetsuit. It was a 4ft black tip. Fortunately he just swam off. More than once I have had fish taken just moments after they were shot.

When trolling in the tuna schools or on the banks,(underwater mountains) we often lost fish to sharks. The worst of it was when we lost two yellowfin approximately 80lbs each in seconds while fishing Galvez Banks. We reeled in two heads that still had several pounds of good meat still on them.

In Ulithi, a shark would be the first animal you'd see when snorkeling. My friend had one take a bite off his fin while he was spearfishing.

In all these instances the sharks were far more interested in the fish than us. I thought it might be interesting to hear of shark confrontations from other divers. Anyone have a shark experience that wasn't created by having dead or injured fish around? I dove around sharks many times when not spearfishing and have only found them mildly curious, not threatening. Adventure-Ocean

I went to the Maldives a few weeks back and did 5 dives. Although I had a few grey sharks around me, which I also have footage of, I saw more when I was snorkelling inbetween dives around the house reef. This was taken with my GoPro Hero3 +. Please excuse the movement as I am of course on the surface, moving with the waves. >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MegyAjhMqhs#t=34 ..... :D ... Watch in HD.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2013 at 03:27 AM ----------

You can see the grey sharks in this one, we were at 17 meters here tethered to the rocks during a drift. This is off Kuramathi Island in the Maldives a few weeks ago. As you say they are only inquisitive ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_-NDvS0PA ..... Be sure to watch in HD again.

I went to the Maldives a few weeks back and did 5 dives. Although I had a few grey sharks around me, which I also have footage of, I saw more when I was snorkelling inbetween dives around the house reef. This was taken with my GoPro Hero3 +. Please excuse the movement as I am of course on the surface, moving with the waves. >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MegyAjhMqhs#t=34 ..... :D ... Watch in HD.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2013 at 03:27 AM ----------

You can see the grey sharks in this one, we were at 17 meters here tethered to the rocks during a drift. This is off Kuramathi Island in the Maldives a few weeks ago. As you say they are only inquisitive ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_-NDvS0PA ..... Be sure to watch in HD again.

The sharks when you were snorkeling were Blacktip reef sharks and the ones from the diving video look like Grey Reef (hard to tell so could be wrong) sharks.

I spent the summer volunteering on a PhD project involving Port Jackson sharks - we had to catch them by hand while freediving in order to tag them. Of course a normally peaceable PJ can sometimes get a bit annoyed when plucked from its resting spot, on one such occasion a PJ managed to bite my weightbelt and undo it. Luckily I grabbed the weightbelt as it fell off but then I had the problem of having a very annoyed shark in one hand and a 8kg weightbelt in the other ... It must have been comical to watch! I decided in the end that there were plenty more sharks in the sea and let the little guy go.

In our breaks we sometimes went and did some recreational diving - one such time (in the evening) myself and my buddy were swimming along a gully with kelp on either side. Just pottering along until I looked to my right and there was a Wobbegong's mouth about a foot from my face! Gave me a bit of a shock. Anyway we looked through the kelp to find out how big this shark was (we reckoned around 2.5m) but he decided we had annoyed him just enough so swam off. We figured we wouldn't see it again so dropped back into the gully and carried on. Not 20 seconds later my buddy gave a slight shout and as I turned to see what the problem I saw the Wobbegong swim right underneath me (now we were around a 1m off the seabed so it wasn't very far away!). That sneaky wobby had managed to give both of us a fright not once but twice within a minute!

You are right about the sharks on both counts, black tipped and grey shark, yes. Shame you didn't get that footage of yours on video it would have been top of the RUDETUBE list. Would have gone viral. Ha,ha ... !!! Can't wait for next year, we are hoping to do 10 nights in the Maldives, we went on the Manta Dive but there weren't any there and they were the main things I went for. I wont be seeing many of those in London.

View attachment 174245

I was reading some replies on the bangstick thread and came across divers who said they haven't seen sharks on their dives. On Guam, it was very common to see black tip and white tip sharks. Occasionally we'd see a Tiger Shark or Hammerhead.

We had a rule about hunting around sharks. If we spotted two or more in the area, we'd get out. We could keep an eye on one shark. The visibility was often excellant. Two sharks swimming around was too unpredictable and we'd stop.

On one free diving trip I was on I'd shot a small reef fish and as I went to grab the spear I felt a shark bump up against my wetsuit. It was a 4ft black tip. Fortunately he just swam off. More than once I have had fish taken just moments after they were shot.

When trolling in the tuna schools or on the banks,(underwater mountains) we often lost fish to sharks. The worst of it was when we lost two yellowfin approximately 80lbs each in seconds while fishing Galvez Banks. We reeled in two heads that still had several pounds of good meat still on them.

In Ulithi, a shark would be the first animal you'd see when snorkeling. My friend had one take a bite off his fin while he was spearfishing.

In all these instances the sharks were far more interested in the fish than us. I thought it might be interesting to hear of shark confrontations from other divers. Anyone have a shark experience that wasn't created by having dead or injured fish around? I dove around sharks many times when not spearfishing and have only found them mildly curious, not threatening. Adventure-Ocean

I have done quite a few shark dives with my good friend Jim Abernethy, who is arguably the TOP Shark behaviorist on the planet ( with hundreds of times more in-water time than any other researchers)
The perspective I would offer is that when we dive a natural and rich marine ecosystem, where there is little effect from fishing ( commercial or personal), where we see lots of big fish, we will see plenty of big sharks.....but they will be non-aggressive, and occasionally curious ( as are many other fish).

If we want to create a rich photographic or video opportunity to film sharks, we use dead bait....and the blood scent brings the sharks in slowly and with curiosity, and without aggression.
Jim says that After millions of years of shark evolution, the behavior is---smell some blood, and slowly follow it to where it seems to be--but in no hurry as most times something else will get there first and the shark can't afford the energetic waste of rushing around when no food will re-pay the caloric/energetic expense.......When a struggling fish is felt, an entirely DIFFERENT behavior results...the shark then KNOWS that the meal still exists, and that if it hurries, that "meal" could be his.....so they blast off fast....and come in fast, knowing that this is a race, and a contest, between them and the other sharks--to get to the struggling fish first...there is no time to be overly curious, or to do much identification by fly-bys....you have to get in fast, and get the fish...

So the fish on a spear, or a fishing line, put a diver in the water with a shark on a mission that millions of years have genetically programmed him to act in a very specific manner on.....He is aggressive, because if he is not first to the food, it will be taken by another. Mistaken identity issues where a diver gets bitten, are quite easy in this scenario, because the shark is more worried about losing a meal that ought to be a sure thing, than he is about curiosity about what the '"meal" might be.....

If you want to spearfish in a big eco-system with lots of sharks, you need to know that they have been signaled that it is time for each of them to eat...and they are hungry, and programmed to go for the meal before another shark gets it.
On the other hand, you don't actually need to hurt them when they come in, typically even just a camera in front of a diver is all that is needed for them to bump into and not experience a food or meal result....
I used to spearfish with a big double barrel 56 inch Ultimate Speargun...big and very heavy--the sharks could"feel' the mass ( maybe from all the metal mass and the electrical sensitivity )....All I ever had to do was wave the gun near the nose of an in-coming shark, and it would deviate. Jim's people on shark dives, the ones without cameras, hold a PVC pipe vertically, and if on the bottom, put one end in the sand--the shark comes in to close, and the pvc pipe is a vertical pole directly in their path, which they bump into--and experience no food, and no joy....and they turn, and keep trying to figure out if a meal is somewhere around....You can do the same with a spear gun...
The big problem is that if you don't kill the fish you shot stone dead, the vibrations will keep making the shark crazy interested in being first to a meal.....This was one reason that back in the 80's, we used to hunt with 9mm disposable powerbeads...a 25 or 50 pound grouper would INSTANTLY go to sleep, so no vibrations....sharks could get mildly curious, but we would never have the frenzy behavior a live struggling fish will create.
If you can't use a powerhead( obviously you can't), then getting a knife in the brain and really killiing the fish instantly, should be a big priority :)

see this:
Swimming With the Shark Whisperer | Video - ABC News

danvolker- Thank you for a lot of valuable information. It putts together a lot of shark behavior I've seen but had no idea of why. Would have loved to have read this 40 years ago. Adventure-Ocean

This has happened more than a few times. Shoot a fish and before you can react one or more come screaming up and tear your fish off. This one took my floater down like it was a small cork. It surfaced about 100 yards from the boat but let go because I guess it couldn't bite through the cable of the slip tip.

This one spot in particular...my son and I have each lost a couple fish. It's like the sharks here are educated and know the sound of a speargun. One fish and you have to leave.

15738_1222188166525_1583599415_546624_4150125_n_zpsca5bdf5f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Where is this NC dive site or was this a composite video. I'd love to get out and shoot some lion fish in my home waters.

Reggie in Midland, NC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom