This made front page

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
The great-granddaughter of General Mills heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post was found stabbed to death in her luxury Honduras spa, law enforcement officials told the Associated Press.

Nedenia Post Dye, 46, was found stabbed in her spa on the resort island of Roatan, Honduras on Dec. 22.

Lenin Roberto Arana, 25, was arrested and charged with Dye's murder, police officials told The Associated Press.

Arana allegedly said he and Dye were romantically involved, but police said Dye was trying to help Arana quit drugs, according to the AP.

"She was a good woman who worked with young people at risk, drug addicts and alcoholics," Roatan police chief Alex Madrid told the AP.
Roatan police did not respond to ABC News' attempts to contact them.

Madrid said Arana, a local singer who goes by the stage name "Canary," was soaked in blood when police stopped him in Dye's car. Arana told local reporters that he is innocent.

Dye's great-grandmother, Marjorie Merriweather Post, was a businesswoman and socialite, who inherited the cereal company that would go on to become General Mills.

For the past 15 years, Dye had lived Honduras, where she had opened a luxury spa. In a recent talk at her Alma mater, George Washington University, Dye reportedly explained why she picked the Caribbean island to start a business.
"My friend and I had an idea to start a business," Dye recalled. "I wanted to go to Asia but she said 'No, Central America is closer. If [the business] fails, we can swim home.'"

During the talk Dye also recounted helping at-risk youth in the area with a program for talented soccer players.

"These are kids with no resources. Their family unit is broken. The kids have to leave school to work," Dye said.
According to the report from George Washington University, Dye is financing a project in which teens are taken in by one of Honduras' soccer teams and are educated and trained.

"We now have four kids 'in the pros' and another six getting ready," Dye said.

On Dec. 24, the U.S. Department of State reiterated its travel warning to U.S. residents visiting or living in Honduras.
According to the State Department's warning, violence and crime remain "critically" high in Honduras and the vast majority of serious crimes on the island are never solved.

"Of the 50 murders committed against U.S. citizens since 2008 [in the Honduras], police have only solved two," the warning said.
However, the warning also states that resort areas, such as the island of Roatan where Dye lived, had much less crime than the country as a whole.

My repeated statement on this kind of incident:

Come and visit Roatan, but avoid any type of social relationship. Do not be drunk, late at night in the bars, don't get kissy face with anybody you didn't bring along, avoid drug situations.

If you really want to live there full time, there is much more to consider.

Front Page; Which paper?

Sad NEWS!

I saw this on NBC news last night but not much details other than a murder of American in Roatan.

Doc - your advice is good for all foreign travel. A friend who lives in Playa del Carmen has told us some horror stories from there about crime. "Rich" tourists are targets anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom