DPV navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limpabit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there.

Newbie divers here. Just did the DPV padi speciality with a blade fish scooter in poor visibility.

Got home. Mr's said, really enjoyed the course. But if we had to navigate, how would we do it with both hands on scooter?

I said good question so posted the question here!😊

Compass mounted on the scooter. Many brands make a mount to add a compass to the handle . I also saw another cool set up where someone took a large, roughly 3"-4" dome type and mounted it down toward the nose of the scooter. Apparently it is really easy to see.

Thanks for your replies. It was one of those things, once we got back, how and what with.

Only seen compasses wrist and console mount. 😊

Blade Fish are not really designed for diving. They are more pool toys. I doubt you can put a compass on one, as the magnetic field of the motor will probably throw it off. Most diving scooters can have a compass mounted on them, and more importantly they connect to the dive with a tow cord that takes all the load off the arms. There is not way I could stand the pull of my scooter for 15 minutes straight.

Keeping a scooter dive team together in low vis requires a well prepared team that is on the same page. Super bright lights help communication and location.

Thanks guys.

I did see what your talking about Peter on Monty Hall. But did not realise it was for towing. Thought the tow lines were there, for when stopping. So you had your hands free.

It's information like these, that I think should be included in the DPV courses.

By putting your compass and depth gauge in your normal field of view, you can stay on course and at depth very easily. Since your mask limits your field of view, using a compass or depth gauge on your wrist or handle means that you need to look away from where you are going, and in really low visibility, things appear very fast on a scooter.

Throw in some surge and kelp and it becomes really tough stay on course and untangled unless you are constantly minding your heading and what is in front of you.

Cheers,
Jon

Attachments

• HUD Overview.jpg
    HUD Overview.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 448
  • HUD Diver view.jpg
    HUD Diver view.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 434
With my right arm extended, as typical for a tow behind DPV I've never had any difficulty reading either compass or Dive computer, both mounted on a bracket on the handle of a Dive Xtras scooter. I've done some long runs this way.

Tobin

That look one cool setup you have there Jon😎

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom