Is it just me??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kerrycorcoran

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Some background.

The wife and I got into scuba diving during our honeymoon in Cancun 2011. We did a 'Try Scuba' thing where you have approximately 15 minutes of discuss (in broken English) a short video, about 30 minutes of pool time and the next thing you know you're heading out to sea to drop in for a '40' depth dive. Truth told, I was the one really pushing my wife into doing this and honestly, in the pool session she was much better than I was. Several times I popped up gasping for air and spitting out water. Within approximately 15 minutes she was able to flood, remove and replace her mask without issue. It doesn't hurt she was a lifeguard when she was younger; she is very comfortable in the water. On the actual dive she was a little unnerved dropping in as the sea's were a bit rough, but once down she was awesome. Me on the other hand, couldn't wait to drop in although I knew for the life of me my regulator was not going to leave my mouth. Looking back, now that I am certified, I'm still kind of shocked I was allowed to dive.

As soon as we returned from our honeymoon, again this was in 2011, I kept asking my wife when she wanted to get certified. She said she enjoyed it and would look into it. This was the conversation we had several times over the next year or so. This last winter I went to the LDS and signed up after completing my online training. When I returned from the LDS she asked where I had went, I replied to sign up for the class and complete my Scuba training. She turned to me, as if I was doing something wrong, and asked why didn't I tell her about it? I advised her that I had asked several times, but she was still ticked I hadn't involved her. This is one of the those moments where you can chose to be right or happy. :) I let her know there was plenty of time to get her online training done and signed up for the same class I was going to be in. We took the class together.

Fast forward, we completed our certification (SSI) this past summer locally; 62 degree water and 0 visibility. Thanks to the training we both did well, although it was not ideal conditions. Returned about a month ago from a week long diving trip in Cozumel and we loved every minute of it. Dove everyday we could and saw so many cool things. The wife still does a better job of air consumption than I, however I have become very comfortable performing all the basic OW tasks.

When I decided to get certified I immediately purchased my own equipment. Wanted to ensure I was comfortable and knew the gear I planned to dive with. Not looking for this to be a thread about waiting to buy gear or buying when you're still learning, but is drives me nuts we have to rent her gear. She doesn't seem to mind.

We'll be joining the Roatan Invasion 2014 and most likely heading on another dive vacation in Nov/Dev 2014.

My question, sorry for the book - but why isn't a big deal to her to not have her own gear?? I just don't understand it. I know I'm going to just end up buying stuff without her input and giving it to her. She'll appreciate that, but I'd much rather she seek out what she wants specifically, but she really seems fine with renting.

Any other guys (married or girlfriends) have this happen to them?

I just don't get it??

Kerry

She's just not that into (diving with) you...

She's just not that into (diving with) you...

You are cold!!

Kerry, it's a Mars/Venus thing. One of the reasons you like diving is the gear and the "technical" aspects of diving. She likes pretty fish. She could give 2 poops about what kind of regulator, or it's specs or type of BC, or split or blade fins or any of the other gibberish we fight about on ScubaBoard. You are in it because diving is the coolest thing you can do with cloths on. She sees it as what it takes to keep you happy, and look at pretty fish.

Take it for what it is, at least she's diving with you. RJP's wife will at least go to an island with him, but he usually dives solo.

My husband and I dive together. He has a fancier computer than I do and a nicer knife. He like gadgets, I like saving money. He wanted to buy all the gear, I'm good with renting. I personally don't think we will dive enough to want to deal with maintenance costs. Maybe your wife thinks similarly?

Last edited:
Yup, same with me and one of my vacation dive buddies. Aside from travelling from different continents and different luggage restrictions, I bring my gear, she rents.

It's only a ~$15-20 difference a day for a few dives a year. (I do about 50+ a year, so that $20 turns out to be another 5 days of diving I could have done, or a new XYZ.

She now owns a computer, that's about it. She dives only on vacation, I dive when I get a chance to.

BRad

I didn't really ask for the girlfrieds input, i just bought it for her. She's happy she has it now. I'm the only one that drives so renting was a pain for me since I was not even renting for my self and now with us nothing having equipment wheni want to dive we just go. I do not regret buying her a set alto she would have him happy renting.

Step #1 - Slip a piece of mushy food into her rental reg mouthpiece when she's not looking.
Step #2 - When you're gearing up, tell her in vivid detail a story you heard from the DM about some guy on the boat yesterday that threw up macaroni and cheese mid-dive.
Step #3 - Get your credit card ready.

See what she is "watching" on eBay. PM me and I'll explain what a Tignanello or Kors Purse is all about.

We all have different "must have" lists, stuff we can't be seen without.

AKR will have, as always, great rental gear for the Invasion. Rent without concerns.

After throwing up thru "your" regulator, and taking a leak in "your" wetsuit, can you imagine wanting to use anyone else's??? :) Personally my thoughts are that your wife is trying to be practical by not asking for her own gear and spending the money, just do the research and buy her a BCD, Regs, and a computer that you think she will like, not what you think you would like, as it sounds as if she would be appreciative. I did my first pool session in LDS gear, and have been using my own stuff since then, and can't imagine wanting to use someone else's, that even goes for flashlights that I don't get to maintain. Just my .02. Good luck!!!

Kerry--to be honest mate you are asking this question in the wrong place. We are all dive addicts and wife/girlfreind/boyfreind/husband really doesn't get much of a say or are just as addicted as us. We justify our addiction in various ways.
Your wife on the other hand might see this as a passing phase or can't justify the expense for a few dives a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom