Big Island Diving - 1/18 through 1/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J Miller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am heading to the Big Island in a few weeks and able to dive the 18th through the 21st. I will be with my dive buddy from the Puget Sound area. We each have about 500 dives and are both pretty experienced divers. We will be staying in Puako and are looking for a dive buddy for a few shore dives and possibly a night dive. We both like to take photos and really take our time on dives. Mainly looking for some guidance and expertise in the Hawaiian waters. I have dove Puako and Two-Step several times, I'd be interested in a couple of new sites too. Also, any recommendations on good sites to do night/dusk dives? Thanks and PM me if you are interested in diving with us.

Thanks

Great pics!
If you haven't done it yet, check out the manta ray night dives. It was featured in CNN 2 months ago I think.

Hi Jesse - sorry to miss you, but I'll be on Maui again at the same time. I loved diving on the Big Island. That's where I had my Tiger Shark encounter, which was an awesome highlight to the trip. Hope you have great dives. (((kevin)))

Hi Jesse - sorry to miss you, but I'll be on Maui again at the same time. I loved diving on the Big Island. That's where I had my Tiger Shark encounter, which was an awesome highlight to the trip. Hope you have great dives. (((kevin)))

Kevin, darn! Too bad you won't be on the big island :) I remember your tiger shark story. I would love to see one! Have some good dives too.

Hi Jesse-

I also highly recommend the blackwater dive for any critter geek. You are guaranteed to see something you won't recognize. I'm in Kona now, but usually too busy to show people around underwater. Go ahead and fire any questions you may have, though.

Hi we just returned from two weeks on the big island. We did a couple of shore dives one at two step, one, just in front of our hotel/Condo (dont recommend the entry) but the turtles were fun to watch.

At two step we arrived early, watched the sunrise, then started the dive. Its a nice dive where the safety stop is just a nice swim over the coral as you head back. The problem we had on exit was the number of divers gearing up on the entrance. After floating in the water and realizing they werent going to give us room we opted for a different exit to the south. The surge was quite high that day and it made the exit a little rough for my wife. If you are experienced it should be no problem.

We were skunked on the Manta dive. The dive op said that only happens 15% of the time and offered us a "rain check" free dive on standby anytime we return. Very nice I thought.

I thought about doing more shore diving, but did find one advantage to the boat diving. On one dive, this is how it went. Humpback within 5' of the boat, but we left to go snorkel with the whale shark that showed up. A pod of dolphins then decided it would be fun to follow the boat do the dive site, so over the side we went. Sat on the bottom watching the dolphin show. Then continued with a great dive. Saw an eagle ray, octopus, and an eel strike. Kind of an overloaded dive. Worst thing was, we just got my daughters boyfriend certified and this was his first dive as a certified diver :)

We brought both 3mm and 5mm wet suits. The girls were freezing in their 3s and I much preferred my 5 with a hood. Especially when doing multiple dives. My wife only ever did two dives/day due to being cold. Bottom temps were 74 - 75 according to my computer.

Anyhow, have a great! time. Wish I was still there :(

Thanks for the replies. I have the manta and black water dives scheduled. I've done both but my buddy has not, should be fun. I was hoping for a local to help show us around, but have come up empty. Guess we will wing it :) I have dove there several times so, I okay without a guide. Just like some local knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom