Dive Trends for 2014?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnmckenzie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the dive trends you are noticing for the coming year? Which trends are just starting, growing or dying? Which trends are you excited about and which are fads? Who are the trend leaders and who are the followers.

Here are a few trends to get the discussion started:
  1. Bluetooth connected computers that sync to your smartphone dive log app. (Oceanic)
  2. Cloud based dive log apps (Diviac)
  3. Stylish scuba themed clothing (SSI and Neptunic)
  4. Training manuals as apps with integrated video and quizzes. (PADI)
  5. Recreational Re-breathers
  6. Recreational Side mount (trend or fad?)
  7. Drysuits cut for women (Whites)
  8. Large screen dive computers
  9. LED dive and photo lights (is HID dead?)
  10. Younger divers - is the middle age trend turning?
  11. Fluorescent diving
  12. Kayak and Paddle board diving
  13. Underwater communication for the masses
  14. Add your favorite trends.....

1.) Dive computers that can find each other, and even a transmitter on the boat, on a dive (LiquiVision Lynx).

2.) Dive computers with interfaces more like a smart phone and less like trying to program a digital watch, such that one can use them without re-learning part of the manual most every time (Atomic Aquatics Cobalt).

3.) The prospect of bluetooth interfaces for computers & dive computers adjusting settings, etc..., is a good one. And for wrist units with small screens, the option to adjust settings using your smart phone or tablet wirelessly would be quite nice.

If it were up to me, any dive gear bag I used for travel would probably look like it was owned by a homeless person and that nothing valuable worth stealing could possibly be inside. I have the same attitude about computer bags.

Richard.

Mid Year check ....

...... Dive computers with interfaces more like a smart phone and less like trying to program a digital watch ......

Smartphone as a dive computer?

divenav_smartdivebuddy5.JPG
divenav_smartdivebuddy2.JPG
divenav_smartdivebuddy3.JPG

I like your list and think that customizable gear bags should be the list. Why put all that fine gear in a cheap bag that looks like everyone elses. I might be a little biased though...

My answer would be, because it looks like everyone else's and doesn't stand out as expensive stuff worth stealing (even if it isn't actually either of those things).

I don't see a lot of these as being trends at all though I'd like some of them to be. I think most of these are niche things that will remain niche, unfortunately.

About the only real trend I've noticed is more and more people using computers, in general, and more online training.

Smartphone as a dive computer?

Interesting idea, but I don't see it happening. The biggest obstacle is the phone itself. The Galaxy SIII has a pressure transducer that measures altitude (including below sea level elevations that only exist in very deep mines), but who's going to produce one with a depth gauge and make it waterproof to 130' or more especially considering that most aren't even waterproof to 5')?

Somebody could write an inexpensive app that would do the computing, but it still needs the depth info. In theory you could build a waterproof housing that has a pressure transducer and connects through the USB port, but I think there are too many problems. First, there are a lot of different phones, so you either make a dozen (or 50) different housings or limit yourself to the market of just a few popular phones. Second, most people upgrade phones fairly often, probably making the housing obsolete within 2 to 4 years. Third, housings with buttons aren't especially cheap. I'm sure you could make one much cheaper than a camera housing, but it's probably still a significant percentage of the cost of a dedicated dive computer.

Well for the iPhone users there is an APP that cost a bit over $300 that lets you use the iPhone as a dive computer asking as you add the water proof case don't know if it comes with the deal..

Tri-Split Fins.

Bluetooth Digital, in Tactical Black.

I'd love to see something like a GPS that works underwater and throw the compass in the trash! Routes, waypoints, long/lat.... the whole package. Sometimes I see some stuff underwater and think, man I'd love to come back and fish this spot some time and vice a versa when fishing I often think that I'd love to see the bottom at a later date when scuba diving....

Interesting idea, but I don't see it happening. The biggest obstacle is the phone itself. The Galaxy SIII has a pressure transducer that measures altitude (including below sea level elevations that only exist in very deep mines), but who's going to produce one with a depth gauge and make it waterproof to 130' or more especially considering that most aren't even waterproof to 5')?

Somebody could write an inexpensive app that would do the computing, but it still needs the depth info. In theory you could build a waterproof housing that has a pressure transducer and connects through the USB port, but I think there are too many problems. First, there are a lot of different phones, so you either make a dozen (or 50) different housings or limit yourself to the market of just a few popular phones. Second, most people upgrade phones fairly often, probably making the housing obsolete within 2 to 4 years. Third, housings with buttons aren't especially cheap. I'm sure you could make one much cheaper than a camera housing, but it's probably still a significant percentage of the cost of a dedicated dive computer.

It's been done!

iPhone Dive Computer | Scuba Diving iPhone Case, Dive Log

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom