Advice for adjusting location of tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure how to best word this.

I have a TransPac XT size XL.
When I strap in my cylinder the top cam strap is as high as it can sit on it. Pretty much where is starts curving.
I already adjusted the harness as high as it will go in order to have the cylinder sit lower.

There doesn't seem to be any option to move the cam strap to a lower slot on this: they're pretty much where they're going to be.

Problem is, when I and in the water and I bring my head back, I'm still hitting my 1st stage.
I look at a few of the other people I dive with and their tanks sit considerably lower on their backs than what I think mine does.

I was going to adjust the shoulder straps where they connect at the top of the harness but I'm not sure if that would address the issue since I would have to tighten it up the straps under my arms to take up the slack.

A picture of your rig might help get answers. I have two cam bands on my BPW and dont have that problem.

Had this problem in my last dive.

there is a video of Lamar on one of his classes. he was saying that unlike jackets where people can wear them while they are seated. with wing, you have to put on the wing, stand up, lit the gravity pull the whole unit down, then clip the chest velcro first and then the waist belt.

according to him if you secure the waist belt first and then the chest velcro, you will hit the tank.

need to try this myself next time.

Not sure how to best word this.

I have a TransPac XT size XL.
When I strap in my cylinder the top cam strap is as high as it can sit on it. Pretty much where is starts curving.
I already adjusted the harness as high as it will go in order to have the cylinder sit lower.

There doesn't seem to be any option to move the cam strap to a lower slot on this: they're pretty much where they're going to be.

Problem is, when I and in the water and I bring my head back, I'm still hitting my 1st stage.
I look at a few of the other people I dive with and their tanks sit considerably lower on their backs than what I think mine does.

I was going to adjust the shoulder straps where they connect at the top of the harness but I'm not sure if that would address the issue since I would have to tighten it up the straps under my arms to take up the slack.

This is a common problem with the TransPac XT, and even the old TransPac. I know of 3 people personally, myself included, who have the same issues.

The solution is to lengthen the adjustable shoulder strap as far as it would go, then take up the rest of the slack by tightening the crotch strap to pull the rig tight on your body.

The second, less idea solution, is to remove the top cam band and just use the lower cam band. But this might unbalance the rig. Try it in a pool first before you dive with it, if you go this route.

I loosened up the shoulder straps to drop it down.
I've seen the video and always fasten the sternum strap/buckle first, then the waist. I'm not crazy about cranking up on the crotch, being a guy with guy parts and all.
I'm going this afternoon so I'll have a better idea of whether I fixed this issue or not. I did notice, though, that with the slack in the straps and the tank/wing sitting lower, it brings the inflator/safe-second sit further down as well. So more points lost for poor placement of that. Should be on the outer edge of the wing instead of the back so it's not slinking over the donut.

Before I made the adjustments... when I put everything on and tilt my head back I don't hit the reg. It's when I'm in the water that it happens. I will try tightening the crotch strap a little and see if that helps keep it from creeping up.

The third solution is my wife gets my Transpac and I get an OxyCheq backplate w/ 18# wing.

Hi Father,
Sorry that I just saw this post. If you want to send me an email with your TransPac on I can try to help you out with adjustments. My email is jaredh@diverite.com . Once we figure it out we can help others on here as well.

Safe Diving,
Jared

hi Jared,

i have the same problem. while im out of water, i can move my head back with no problem.

once im underwater, trimed, i can't or my head will hit the 1st stage. have to tilt my head to avoid the valve. after 5 - 10 min its uncomfortable.

Corleone,
Most of the time this problem can be attributed to the side plates on the harness. They may be too far back, causing the unit to ride up more during the dive. The side plates, where the shoulders meet the waist band, should be pretty much directly under your arm pits to where you cover them with your arms if you hold them directly to your side. This is generally 2 inches or so behind the retainer loop at the end of the hip pad.

Another problem could be over tightening the side pull adjustments, causing the unit to ride up. The shoulders may need to be let out some because you might be between sizes.

If you want to email me or post a pic of the unit on I may be able to off some more help.

Safe Diving,
Jared

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom