What to expect on dive charter boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bert van den Berg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,

My wife and I have signed up for a dive charter at the Mokohinau Islands, New Zealand (we live here). In all our years of diving we always dove off our our own sailboat or did shore dives with our dive club and we're "charter newbies". Just wondering what to expect on a real dive boat. We assume that there will be someone in charge and somewhat responsible for our well being and that we're going to be told what to do at least some of the time.

Can you more experienced charter divers fill us in?

Regards,

Bert & Wilda

How charters operate varies greatly from one area to another as to what they provide and also how the dive is carried out. Best to get information specific to your area.

Hi,

My wife and I have signed up for a dive charter at the Mokohinau Islands, New Zealand (we live here). In all our years of diving we always dove off our our own sailboat or did shore dives with our dive club and we're "charter newbies". Just wondering what to expect on a real dive boat. We assume that there will be someone in charge and somewhat responsible for our well being and that we're going to be told what to do at least some of the time.

Can you more experienced charter divers fill us in?

In the Northeast US, for example, you can expect the boat to leave on time, not sink and bring you back to shore. If any crew members get in the water, it's because the anchor is stuck and someone needs to free it.

In some parts of the Caribbean, you can't get rid of the DM if you try and it's actually illegal to not have one. If you let them, they'll do everything but breathe for you.

As Steve_C said, it's really local. You would need to ask someone who dives Mokohinau how they do it there.

Also, if the standard level of attention isn't enough, almost any area can arrange for someone to dive with you if you ask.

flots.

Yes, it varies a lot. Generally you get there on time (or well ahead), pay the fee. Follow instructions--getting your stuff on the boat, dive briefing, gearing up, entering water, etc. etc. Tip the DM/crew if it's the norm. Keep your stuff in as good order as possible on board-- neat and close to you. Bring a "dry" bag and find out where these are kept on board. Keep track of your stuff--marking each piece is a good idea.

I've not been anywhere near your region. My experience of the Caribbean and Key Largo is that dive charter boats often run on a fairly tight schedule; they head out to a site, do a fairly quick briefing, want people in the water pretty quick (and there may be quite a few gear-laden divers who make ducks look graceful by comparison waddling on the boat), so they can exit in about an hour, head to the next site, do the 2'nd dive and be back in time for lunch and/or the afternoon boat trip.

So, when I get on a boat, I generally get my rig together - get the BCD on the tank, reg. hooked up, etc...and when we're near the stopping point, I put my arms through the BCD and start gearing up. I see other divers doing the same, and that's my cue.

Richard.

Some things you should expect from them:

1. A site briefing for any site you're going to dive.

2. O2 on the boat.

3. Some drinks and snacks at least.

4. A radio????

5. Politeness (you are paying after all).

6. The boat to be there when you surface (most of the time anyway).

I can't imagine a dive operator worth a cr@p which would object to a phone call from a dive boat newbie asking what to expect and how to fit in for a safe and smooth time. Each boat in each region is a bit different.

However, there are some fairly universal rules of dive boat etiquette, such as keeping your stuff "ship shape" and in your "station" and not all over the place and in others' way. A quick search here should point you to such a thread.

Shameless book plug for The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, which has a section on DAY Boat charter etiquette ( as does Book 2). Get them on amazon.com, paperback or ebook. What you should expect is easy diving. Boat diving is fantastic ans you will love it. Just keep you stuff out of the aisle, use a boat bag, don't mess with other people's stuff, only put cameras in the camera wash, don't loiter on entry and exit; and as in all cases, do a through buddy check before the dive. There's more- check out the books- which by the way, are meant to be funny and educational.
DivemasterDennis

All of the above, plus will the boat be anchored/attached to a mooring buoy, and you have to be able to navigate a return to the anchor line; or will it be a live boat, in other words not anchored and able to maneuver to pick divers up, in other words you need to have an SMB/reel to mark your location and know how to deploy it from depth (there are many videos on YouTube showing how to do this safely and efficiently, and it requires practice).
On the subject of reboarding the boat, IMO the nicest ladders are Xmas tree ladders, a central post with crosspieces that allows you to keep your fins on and just walk up the ladder. Those are most common in cold water locations in my experience. Less desirable IMO are the rungs between two outer rails, which require you to take fins off before boarding.
Or you might be divIng from an RIB, and taking gear off in the water and passing it up to the crew.
A tag line that the boat operator trails off the stern of the boat is important for reboarding in currents also, you can hang onto that at the surface if the current takes you past the boat.
Most boats have heads (toilets) and follow instructions for their use.
Any good operator will be happy to answer your questions before the dive day.

Shameless book plug for The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, which has a section on DAY Boat charter etiquette ( as does Book 2). Get them on amazon.com, paperback or ebook. What you should expect is easy diving. Boat diving is fantastic ans you will love it. Just keep you stuff out of the aisle, use a boat bag, don't mess with other people's stuff, only put cameras in the camera wash, don't loiter on entry and exit; and as in all cases, do a through buddy check before the dive. There's more- check out the books- which by the way, are meant to be funny and educational.
DivemasterDennis

Unsolicited endorsement...
I read these last year after I began diving, don't let the humorous presentation deter you from reading. There is a lot of useful information in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom