DIY Scooter / DPV Build - March 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subsurfacetech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Good Evening All.

Yes this is my first post ( and shamelessly ) releasing my DIY Build Scooters / DPV's - if you would care to follow / participate in the next build beginning around end of March / Mid April 2014 please take a look at my web site - SubSurfaceTech - Professional Dive DIY

The proposed intention is to post Images / Video's of how I construct my DPV's, coupled with parts lists, suggested purchase locations and helpful general advice - basically remove some of the mysteries around DPV Construction.

The site content is not fully complete, it has taken longer than anticipated to write about 30 years of Diving / Dive related construction. If a link does not work then it will be due to me not having completed the write up.

Currently there are DIY projects for Video Housings, Camera Brackets, Camera Arms, HID / LED Lighting, Scooter / DPV's, Replacement Aladin Strap's and Heavy Duty Lanyards.

I apologise in advance if this has been posted in the wrong area, or anybody feels I am out of order - the intention is to share.

I welcome constructive comments and am still keen to learn after all these years.

Ta.

SubSurfaceTech

You do some nice work. Thanks for sharing :)

Thank You. Appreciate your comments.

The Web Site has subsequently been updated and I have removed those silly blind links - sadly they have had to be replaced with an Apology effectively stating that the device linked to has been designed and constructed but that I am not comfortable with the quality of the content just yet.

ta

Prior to the commencement ( Mid / End March 2014 ) of the proposed "Micro" scooter project I thought it prudent to post a suggested Bill Of Materials ( BOM ) so that anybody inclined to follow and construct the device could begin to locate the necessary items.

The BOM can be found here - SubSurfaceTech - Micro Scooter Bill Of Materials

These are only suggested and it will be left to the constructors to determine the best options as and when their build allows.

Sizing has been deliberately omitted from the BOM due to the constructors individual requirements - ours at this time is to build a very small ( < 6kg ) relatively powerful very simple bare bones scooter. Other constructors may want to build a larger / longer range device, however, the principles will remain the same.

I really appreciate the kind comments being left via all the social media means.

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

Constructors

As this project is now entering the design stage, slightly earlier than had been originally planned, I have made changes to the Bill Of Materials Page and the ScootMicroPage - namely to provide background research outlining the considerations necessary for the Motor / Battery / Body Tube combinations.

To ease the selection of these components I have written a Burn / Run Time calculator in which you can input your choices and make changes accordingly until you arrive at a combination that suits your needs.

Once you have decided on the Motor / Battery combination you can then use the Body Tube calculator to determine the minimum Tube length necessary to float the combined weight. I will add a further release which will determine the Tube Length necessary to allow for 'x' grams of negative buoyancy.

Scooter Build Page - SubSurfaceTech - Scooter Micro

BOM Page - SubSurfaceTech - Micro Scooter Bill Of Materials

Calculators - SubSurfaceTech - DPV / Scooter Calculations

Please note that Java will need to be enabled to use the calculators - please contact me with Bug reports , Additional feature requests etc

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

Good Afternoon All.

Updates to the Scooter Build.

Two versions of the dimensioned Plans / Drawings are available on the scooter build page ( zipped to reduce space on the host server ), one is .pdf and the other is Visio which i use to design the parts. If anybody finds a dimension is missing or is not clear please inform me.

I have fabricated the Motor plates, Gear Box and Prop shaft tunnel, images are available both at subsurfacetech and Flickr, the Flickr set is every photo I take regardless of it being good or bad ( good of course being a relative term )

Next phase is to fabricate the rear cap, complete the assembly of the prop shaft, mount the motor / gearbox assembly to the rear cap.

If anybody has any questions please contact me as normal.

ta

subsurfacetech

Further updates -

Third of the way through now, previously stated tasks have been completed, ample pictures on Flickr showing the build to date - Micro Scooter 2014 - a set on Flickr

More detailed explanations on the Micro scooter page - SubSurfaceTech - Scooter Micro

Updated the Calculations page with a Truncated Cone calculator which we will use to design the Kort shroud, produces the pattern parameters and the minimum sized piece of material necessary from which it can be cut.

Next tasks are to cut the body tube to length and integrity check the seals - current estimations are that the minimum length of tube will be 350mm and 'all up' weight around 3.7kg.

Have powered the motor which is drawing ~1.8 Amps through the gears and bearings but without the shaft seal so expect it to draw a little more when that is fastened home.

ta

SubSurfaceTech

Hmmmm I was a tad off in my prediction for the all up weight at this point, I originally mentioned that 3.7kg was likely, well it turns out to be a whisker over 4kg. Reason being this -

Battery Weights 1150 grams
Motor / Gearbox 2750
Front Plate 475
Kort Nozzle Combo 850
------
Current weight on Land 5225

Minimum body Tube 350mm ( to ensure the components fit ) but I have elected to go in 1.5kg ( max ) heavy which requires a tube length of 375 - this is where the extra 'whisker' comes from.

Likely not to be as negative as 1.5kg as I have not taken into account the displacement lift from the Kort Nozzle, both end plates and the Kort shroud.

Final all up weight on land will be 5.85kg at 570mm length.

All this has been updated on the SubSurfaceTech - Scooter Micro

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

Having completed cutting the body tube and studding we were able to Integrity Test the seals ( all the static seals ). No issues here, have updated the site with pictures as to how it was done. Effectively compressing it to the equivalent of 100 mtrs.

I have jumped ahead slightly and installed 2 off Light Guides which will be positioned above 2 off SMD 5050 RGB LED's in the rear plate - one either side of the T-Bar handle. These will be used as status for the Battery Voltage and Motor Temperature. Traffic light display style - Green, Amber, Red.

Blue will signify water ingress ( Gulp !! )

The T-Bar / Kort Brackets and Kort Nozzle components have been constructed and now just need assembling.

After that its on to the electrics and rotary seal tests.

All Updates are here - SubSurfaceTech - Scooter Micro

Thanks

SubSurfaceTech

Slightly off topic - but not by much.

Have completed the Kort Nozzle rear end but then got side tracked into a new Dive reel, the result can be seen here SubSurfaceTech - Reels

Currently updating the Site to include the Kort pic's - hopefully have that finished this week or certainly early next. Have uploaded the pic's to Flickr SubSurfaceTech's photosets on Flickr under 'MicroScooter' should anybody want a peak before the site work is completed.

Then its on to test the complete ensemble in the tub before stripping down, wrapping and re-assembly.

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom