Advice needed for a Nikonos II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chummer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Nikonos II in mint condition passed down to me from my dad.
I have been taking underwater pictures with it for years with ok results, but it is just a basic camera (with much sentimental value).
I would like to take the next step to upgrade it. Where should I put my money?
A strobe? Only good to 5 ft?
Filters? Not much good with todays film quality?
A new lens? Only good for close-ups?
I dont need magazine quality pics. I just want to take myself and my camera up a notch.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chummer

Chummer:
I have a Nikonos II in mint condition passed down to me from my dad.
I would like to take the next step to upgrade it. Where should I put my money?
I dont need magazine quality pics. I just want to take myself and my camera up a notch.

Hey. What's up? I think the nikonos 2 is a pretty happening camera. I'm serious. It's hard to beat those optics. In my addled opinion, I think you have a couple of options. I'm assuming you have the standard 35 mm lens already. You could pick up a second hand (it would have to be with the Nikonos 2 strobe connection) strobe and a wide angle lens. The only problem is these wide angle nikonos lenses cost more than a dollar or two. What I would do is pick up a used strobe (make sure it has the conection or an adapter for the nikonos 2) and some extension tubes and framers. Experiment with various strobe distances and angles until you get the result that you like best and keep it fixed in that position. With this setup it is entirely posible to get magazine quality macro shots (again, those nikonos lenses are sharp). The only problem with this is you are stuck with a macro setup when that peliosaur swims by.

I use an Oly C-4000 / PT-10 for the casual dive pictures I use to take with my Nikonos III.

But my Nikonos III with an SB 105 and a set of macro extension tubes and framers really is still a very nice setup for macro photography.

Chummer:
I have a Nikonos II in mint condition passed down to me from my dad......Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chummer

Chummer,

Go on Ebay and get a Nikon SB101 with exposure adapter. I got one for about $150. You can set the adapter for a f8 or f16 exposure. Then set your lens to the same stop and you're ready for automatic exposure for anything within flash range. All you do is focus and shoot. You can shoot manual too if you want - full and reduced power.

Mark

It looks like a used strobe is the way to go.
I talked with the Nikonos repair guy that i send my camera to for maintenance and he said for $75 he can change my strobe connector on my camera to one that will fit any of the modern day Nikonos compatible strobes. Seems like a good option.
I'll do some research into extension tubes too.
Thanks all!
Chummer

I would go for the new strobe connector. Then get a simple strobe, like a Sea & Sea YS50. You can buy one used for a good price.

My guess is that you are using the "standard" 35mm lens. This is not an easy lens to use. You are mostly limited to head and shoulders portaits. Anything further away will appear blue.

Buy the extension tubes! 1:2 is probably the best to start out with. You won't believe the kind of photos you can take. The only downside to your camera is that there is no TTL circuitry which would automate the exposure process with your strobe. So you can either shoot print film and not worry about exposure (try F16 or F22 at 1/60 second) or use slide film (Velvia 50 or 100, try F11, F16 and F22 at 1/60 second).

My favorite is wide angle. The cheapest option is Sea & Sea's SWL 16 wide angle adapter. It screws onto the the threads of the 35mm lens. Now you can get real close and just about everything is in focus.

totally agree,if you want to upgrade a bit,but not spend big bucks get a macro tube set up 3:1 or 2:1 (best depth of field ) 1:1 is great also but depth of field is very tight..shoot with preferrably asa 100 f22 @1/60 second. set focal distance on lens at closest distance-.will get high quality images with alot of keepers this way to keep you interested..get a wide angle lens 20mm or even a 15mm now you are talking $ and also a bigger strobe to cover the wider angle..better spent $ going digital for what you will spend..been there did that - shooting nik 2-and nik 5 since 1971..now use a couple of nik 5's with 15mm lens ike 150 strobe and oly5050digital w/wide angle lens ike digital strobe.

I have a couple of Nikonos II's. I shoot the wrecks up and down the western lake Michigan coast line. If your going to get any natural color in those photo's, flash is priority one. Lake Michigan is far better then it was a few decades ago when I started diving, but we our average viz ain't too great. Just for diving its fine, but to shoot pictures it can be really tough going with the 35MM lense. Of course the 15MM Nikor lenses are tops if you can lay your hands on one. I use a 17MM Subatec. This is a lense that adopts your 35MM to 17MM. Seatec makes one too, or they can still be had anyway. Keep a sharp eye on ebay. I picked up my subtec for $95.00. Some of the best money I ever spent. In summery, I would have the port on the camera changed to accept a modern flash connector, then get a decent flash. Then I would go for a wide angle lense of some sort. This will take you a long way. The attached photos were all taken with my Nikonos II cameras.

Jim

The Subawider and Sea & Sea SWL16 were indeed "The Poor Man's 15." Those optics paved the way for the add on lenses used on digicams.

Back
Top Bottom