5 Sidemount Adapter Systems for Backplate/Wing conversions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy, I'm not sure why you list some of these as "adapter" systems. Are they required to be used in conjunction with a backplate? Certainly the Nomad is considered a standalone sidemount system. Or is it just that you're saying a standard wing can be used? Although that doesn't seem to fit in the case of the White Arrow.

I'm just a little confused.

Ken

Or is it just that you're saying a standard wing can be used?

Nearly.. All those systems are modular and can be utilized with existing BP&W components. That represents a possible cost-saving for those entering sidemount and unwilling to purchase an expensive unit in advance. I'm not judging the merits of that - the list is purely 'informational'. "Can I use my existing gear?" is a question I get asked relatively frequently.

4-of-5 can utilize your existing wing.

The White Arrow uses an existing harness/backplate, rather than the wing.

I agree with Mikko, what's the point? You still wind up with a less than optimal system, that while it works, does not anything it claims particularly well. You need to commit.

A quick blog showing five different sidemount adapter options for converting your existing backplate/wing system for sidemount...

Some well known, others less so... and some ingenuity and originality evident in the approaches.

Top 5 - Sidemount Adapter Systems
Andy, GREAT JOB as you continue to develop a taxonomy of sidemount systems! The accumulation of information is impressive. Thank you for doing it.

Now, I have to also ask: since you mentioned last year that your 2013 project involved some rebreather work, can we anticipate a similar effort in that area in the future? :)
kwinter:
I'm not sure why you list some of these as "adapter" systems. Are they required to be used in conjunction with a backplate? Certainly the Nomad is considered a standalone sidemount system. Or is it just that you're saying a standard wing can be used? Although that doesn't seem to fit in the case of the White Arrow. I'm just a little confused.
Interesting question, and I think Andy's categorization of the Nomad is actually an accurate one. The Nomad is a 'backplate' system. The Transpac is just a 'soft' backplate. At the possible risk of over simplification, you can say that the original Nomad system is really a Transpac backplate, adapted for sidemount use with 1) a buttplate attached, 2) the wing worn between the diver and the backplate, instead of on the outside of the plate, and 3) some retainer tabs sewn into the bases of the Nomad wing. Basically, the 'Nomad' branding is for the wing. You can substitute another wing for the Nomad, and even sew tabs into the bases of the wing case to minimize the tendency to taco.

---------- Post added January 5th, 2014 at 11:54 AM ----------

You still wind up with a less than optimal system, that while it works, does not anything it claims particularly well.
I am curious about this view. Using the Nomad as an example, what does it not do 'particularly well'? Or, what makes it a 'less than optimal system'? I am not disagreeing, just interested in t\your perspective.

Or, what represents a contrasting, 'optimal;' system - in terms of features, not brand or model. Again, not agreeing or disagreeing, just trying to better understand the statements.

-

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom