Has anyone seen green star polyps while SCUBA diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b-dog

Contributor
Reaction score
I am interested in both SCUBA diving and salt water aquariums. I am curious about where green star polyps live in real life and what kinds of conditions they have in their natural environment. Do they grow in lagoons or in deeper reefs? What is their native range? Thanks.

Pretty sure I've seen them in Bonaire. Probably at about 40'. Didn't really think much about it.

The commonly seen aquarium star polyps (Briareum) are tropical Pacific/Red sea/ Indian ocean species. They are not found in the Caribbean or Tropical Atlantic. They grow in mats, sometimes quite large, usually on coral rock base at depths that protect them from surface disturbances and waves, but shallow enough for them to get enough light for the internal algal photosynthesis that provides nourishment. These depths will vary according to local conditions.

The commonly seen aquarium star polyps (Briareum) are tropical Pacific/Red sea/ Indian ocean species. They are not found in the Caribbean or Tropical Atlantic. They grow in mats, sometimes quite large, usually on coral rock base at depths that protect them from surface disturbances and waves, but shallow enough for them to get enough light for the internal algal photosynthesis that provides nourishment. These depths will vary according to local conditions.
What kind of distribution do they have? Are they widespread or confined to a small locality in the Indopacific? Thanks.

My understanding is that they are widely distributed, but I can't provide anything specific. I think many aquarium specimens come in from Fiji, the Philippines, and various collection sites that are selected as much for the price and availability of air transportation as for any other reason. If you are looking for specific locations that offer scuba diving and which also have marine life that interests you, check for the underwater photos that most scuba operators have on their websites. Marine invertebrate reference books will also have distribution maps.

I did see them in Fiji, Beqa Lagoon,( back then called Marlin Bay Resort) in 2003. I have a picture, although I cannot recall the depth. Water temperature was about 82F.
DivemasterDennis

While they are not a close relative of Star Polyps there is a 'soft coral', actually a colonial anthozoan known as a Zoanthid, that seems to occupy a similar ecological niche in the Caribbean and Tropical West Atlantic. These come in several colors, including green.

The individual Zoanthid polyps grow connected in sometimes very large mats. The Zoanthid polyps may be a bit larger than average star polyp, but they have a superficially similar appearance and they are found in similar situations.. They are very common, especially on the shallow reef, and will frequently overgrow corals and coral rock.

I see them all the time while diving on many islands in the Caribbean. They seem to be everywhere. I'm told they are very hardy in captivity, but I have never kept them in my aquaria.

I had Caribbean Zoanthids is my 300 gal reef many years ago. (I personally harvested a small sample . What a mistake. They spread like wildfire. I had to almost tear the tank down to get rid of them. Valonia and Aptasia are simple to eradicate compared to this nuisance. Yes I learned my lesson.

i keep an aquarium. kind of at odds with some scuba folks at time. i had a tank well before i started diving. to answer your question, i have not seen any in the south pacific, Marshall islands, Pohnpei etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom