Basic scuba diving rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wtcreaux

Contributor
Reaction score

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been moved from one discussing a specific accident in the Accidents and Incidents forum because it is discussing a generality. The original thread may be found here. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/472730-deaths-eagles-nest-homosassa-fl.html Marg, SB Senior moderator

I have not read all 57 pages (stopped at page 18) so please bear with me if this has already been brought up.......this was NOT a cave diving ACCIDENT. I am a firearms instructor with 30+ years EMS experience and have never seen an "accidental" shooting. Negligent yes but accidental no. Safety rules with firearms (as listed by the NRA) are 1) ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction (meaning if it fires, ZERO bodily injury and minimal property damage), 2) ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire, and 3) ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use (for CHL or LEOs, when you put it on, it is ready to be used). Notice the the type of firearm, caliber, age of shooter, experience of shooter does NOT matter. Also note that the rules are phrased in the affirmative (always) versus negative (never).

When basic rules of safety are violated, why do we call the results accidental. By not calling it what by what happened (safety violation - negligence), I don't think mind sets will change.

IOW, if you violate basic safety rules, you increase exponentially your odds of a bad outcome.

So my question is.......what 3-5 safety rules should be stressed for EVERY diver ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not read all 57 pages (stopped at page 18) so please bear with me if this has already been brought up.......this was NOT a cave diving ACCIDENT. I am a firearms instructor with 30+ years EMS experience and have never seen an "accidental" shooting. Negligent yes but accidental no. Safety rules with firearms (as listed by the NRA) are 1) ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction (meaning if it fires, ZERO bodily injury and minimal property damage), 2) ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire, and 3) ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use (for CHL or LEOs, when you put it on, it is ready to be used). Notice the the type of firearm, caliber, age of shooter, experience of shooter does NOT matter. Also note that the rules are phrased in the affirmative (always) versus negative (never).

When basic rules of safety are violated, why do we call the results accidental. By not calling it what by what happened (safety violation - negligence), I don't think mind sets will change.

IOW, if you violate basic safety rules, you increase exponentially your odds of a bad outcome.

So my question is.......what 3-5 safety rules should be stressed for EVERY diver ?

These are the only rules I follow (they are a minimum, and no need to overcomplicate/reinvent the wheel). Hope it will help save lives (last post on the topic):

cimg00261.jpg

Last edited:
I own it as well. Great book.. Sad he proved out #3
I disagree though about #2. IMO, it is not conservative enough in some situations, but that's a topic for another thread.

[Looks like this post has been moved to that thread]

Last edited:
These are the only rules I follow (they are a minimum, and no need to overcomplicate/reinvent the wheel). Hope it will help save lives (last post on the topic):

So you don't believe training should be a requirement? Also, it says to carry the equipment necessary for handling emergencies. Without a timer of some kind, were you honestly prepared to handle an emergency? I think Sheck's Blueprint is a fantastic work, and the foundation for everything we know now.....but saying it's the only source is naive and dangerous. We've evolved far beyond that now.

I own it as well. Great book.. Sad he proved out #3
I disagree though about #2. IMO, it is not conservative enough in some situations, but that's a topic for another thread.
You know, I'm with you on this and would add an eleventh item: Never Dive beyond your training. I think his book predated Cave C-Cards, or least most of the deaths he examined predated Cave C-Cards. I think the eye opener for me was to realize that all the deaths in the Eagle's Nest system were on dives where the decedent exceeded his training. You're a fool to enter that system without a Cave and a Tri-mix card.

While I appreciate the responses, these (responses) are specific to cave diving (as stated by the list provided). My question still stands - what 3-5 safety rules should be stressed for EVERY diver ?

Just off the top of my head.....

1. ALWAYS dive within your knowledge, skills, and comfort zone. (may change according to your health, local conditions, etc)

2. ALWAYS plan your dive and dive your plan (gas, equipment, etc)

3. ANYONE can call a dive for any reason (we may discuss it afterwards)

I'm trying to boil it down to 3-5 phrases that ANY diver should remember and follow, i.e. the above works for basic, advanced, air, tri-mix (assuming as I am not), OW, wreck or cave (again, assuming as I am not).

How about do not get in the water without the knowledge and ability to save yourself or a buddy.
And never accept minimums as good enough.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

1. Have enough experience for the dive
2.If not 1 then find a buddy who has.
3. Make sure kit is good to go.
4.Make sure buddies kit is good to go.
5.Don't rush.If you cant tell the time by now you probably should take up another hobby.

2p

I'd add a fourth: Keep everything you need for the dive in good condition. That means your equipment, your body, and your diving skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom