500SE questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just acquired a new reg setup made up of the 500SE 2nd stage, a 212 2nd stage as backup octopus, and the DC2 1st stage. Everything is working well, but I have a couple issues with the 500SE. It free flows like crazy as soon as it hits the water. Is that typical of a servo assisted reg? Is there anything I can do as far as adjustments? Should I have a tech tune it? Also, and I think this is somewhat related to it free flowing, a few times when I've finished with the dive and I'm a few feet from the surface, the 500SE has felt like it almost free flowed while still in my mouth. Again, is this something that I should have a tech adjust? I did ask one person at one of the LDS that care Hollis and he said they don't have the support info for the 500se yet. I live in the bay area, so would it be possible for me to go to Hollis/Oceanic's office for assistance?

I just acquired a new reg setup made up of the 500SE 2nd stage, a 212 2nd stage as backup octopus, and the DC2 1st stage. Everything is working well, but I have a couple issues with the 500SE. It free flows like crazy as soon as it hits the water. Is that typical of a servo assisted reg? Is there anything I can do as far as adjustments? Should I have a tech tune it? Also, and I think this is somewhat related to it free flowing, a few times when I've finished with the dive and I'm a few feet from the surface, the 500SE has felt like it almost free flowed while still in my mouth. Again, is this something that I should have a tech adjust? I did ask one person at one of the LDS that care Hollis and he said they don't have the support info for the 500se yet. I live in the bay area, so would it be possible for me to go to Hollis/Oceanic's office for assistance?

Hi Jak,

Please call our customer service department at 888-383-DIVE. Since you are local, we would be happy to diagnose the issues you are having. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Thanks,

Hey Nick. The most immediate thing I'd want to know is what to expect from the 500. Ive usually used 2nd stages like the 212 with a venturi switch. Is the 500 just a 2nd stage I should make sure is pointed down at all times?

Jak it's a lot better to call them directly and ask for Brian or Nick on the phone. I have used a Poseidon Jet stream which is also a servo assisted reg and it had a + - switch on it. It would free flow like crazy when I jumped in the water if it was not on the - setting. Once I had it in my mouth I turned it to the + setting and it was a great reg.

Hey Nick. The most immediate thing I'd want to know is what to expect from the 500. Ive usually used 2nd stages like the 212 with a venturi switch. Is the 500 just a 2nd stage I should make sure is pointed down at all times?

Hi Jak,

The 500SE uses a pneumatically balanced servo valve, which has a unique breathing characteristic when compared to a traditional demand valve. Just small amounts can be sipped from the servo mechanism because of the two chamber valve. This design makes it a super easy breather, but much less resistant to free flow on the surface. With attention it can be easily controlled and doesn't need to be pointed down at all times. When entering the water or letting water into the 500SE, ensure the purge button is higher than the mouthpiece. This is needed more with your long hose or primary than when wearing the 500SE on a necklace, free flow is reduced dramatically because of the natural position it sits.

Hope this helps! As mentioned our service team would be happy to diagnose any further issues you are having.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom