Where to Stay in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ontdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry I couldn't come up with a more original question but this is what we are trying to sort out for first time visit to Bonaire circa October. Dive buddy and I (both 50+/AOW) are looking to get biggest bang for buck in terms of accommodation/u/l shore diving package. Leaning towards Caribbean Club, but realize there are lots of options. Thanks

I have been to Bonaire once and am returning in May. I have done a lot of exhaustive research trying to answer this question for myself, my family and friends. This is my overall impression of bang for buck for those who want to do unlimited shore diving (assuming Nitrox) and are not in to luxurious accomodations or excessive boat diving or needing a lot of dive vibe or interaction with other divers(although Dive Hut has this):

Ocean Front, Ocean View: Beachcomber Villas - Fantastic View, Really Nice Accomodation, Great Hosts, Great House Reef (Cliff)
Ocean Front, No Ocean View: Studio Package at Den Laman - Great Value, Great House Reef (Bari) and really easy Dive setup with a nice dock (Bonaire Dive & Adventure)
Not Ocean Front, No Ocean View: Dive Hut - Value, Value, Value!

Want nicer digs? Try Bamboo Bali or Aparments Bridanda, not ocean front, but nice accommodations very close to great house reefs.

I am sure wherever you stay you will have a great time!

Thanks for the tip about Caribbean Club I will pass it along to friends and family, with breakfast it does workout to a very nice deal!

Ocean Front, No Ocean View: Studio Package at Den Laman - Great Value, Great House Reef (Bari) and really easy Dive setup with a nice dock (Bonaire Dive & Adventure)

Minor detail, but diverjen I believe you have the terms ocean front and ocean view reversed here.

To the OP, my wife and I went with Den Laman on our one trip to Bonaire. The best thing I can say about it is that when we go back, this is the first and probably only place we'll consider. I thought it represented a great value, and as diverjen said, the house reef, Bari, is terrific. The importance of that for me is that I'd rather not have to lug gear around or deal with sometimes challenging shore entries in the dark. We did 5 night dives on Bari during the course of a week there and never got bored.

James

james - I am not exactly sure what you mean.

The Studios do NOT have an Ocean View. The one bedroom and two bedroom do but they are much more expensive. The Den Laman building (which houses all the accomodations) is definitely ocean front (Even though the studios and some other 1-2 bedrooms are on the second and third floor.). I stayed at A3 Sand Dollar last time (the building right across from Den Laman) and it does not get any easier from Den Laman to the water.

At least we can agree on Bari, lol. We also dove Bari several times every day and loved it and never got bored with it. It accounted for almost half of our total dives in Bonaire that trip. I agree its an excellent choice for twilight/night/sunrise dives too for the convenience factor!

Attachments

• Den-Laman-Condominiums.jpg
    Den-Laman-Condominiums.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 263
Ah, I see what you're saying, diverjen. I was confused because on Den Laman's website, they refer to ocean front as those rooms that face the ocean, and ocean view as those rooms that are on the side of the building (presumably one can get a partial view of the ocean if they look out a window).

But you mean the building itself is on the ocean, which is a good distrinction to make.

Anyway, great diving, and a place I'd definitely go back to.

James

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much appreciated.

Just to add my 2cents I'd go with your original thought of caribbean club but would also think seriously about Beachcomber Villas. do like the cliff dive site alot. I have not stayed at either of these places. But have been going to Bonaire since 2001 and looked at many different places. Not as big a fan as some of Buddy's or of Bari Reef too. Too busy for me personally.
no matter what you choose Bonaire is great place for a vacation!

What about Black Durgon Inn or Bruce Bowkers Carib Inn? Both are smaller, economical, great locations on the water. Black Durgon website lists $88 a night for 2 people AND includes breakfast. (Unless you boat it, you normally don't get to Small Wall.) Standard rooms at Carib Inn are listed at $119 for 2 people, cute pool, gorgeous gardens, walk to town and Bruce is the go to guy on island for gear fixes, shop is well stocked and very reasonably priced. Add another $109 for unlimited air.

Both have kitchen access so you can economize on food as well. Both are well established, long running, reputable operations. They may not have a 'published' package rate but it isn't difficult to put it all together.

Just talking out loud. I have looked at Black Durgeon and Carib Inn a little for my visiting family. Jersey (or anyone else), can you confirm if my assumptions are true or false?

Black Durgon, you share an open air kitchen with the other guests, dive package is for 3 tank fills a day (not unlimited?) and not tanks (have to wait for your tank to be filled in between?) no nitrox available. Do they do boat dives from the inn?

Carib Inn, private kitchen in rooms, really hard to get a reservation because its so well loved, house reef meh, unlimited tank fills and not tanks (have to wait for your tank to be filled in between?)and no nitrox available. Bruce sounds fantastic and I feel better having an on island resource for dive gear rental or fixes - it seems his shop is open to outsiders utilizing paid services even if you are not staying there?

For the OP, In terms of Bari being busy, I went in October, which is shoulder season and the whole island was not very busy.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 01:56 PM ----------

Ah, I see what you're saying, diverjen. I was confused because on Den Laman's website, they refer to ocean front as those rooms that face the ocean, and ocean view as those rooms that are on the side of the building (presumably one can get a partial view of the ocean if they look out a window).

But you mean the building itself is on the ocean, which is a good distrinction to make.

Anyway, great diving, and a place I'd definitely go back to.

James

james, that makes total sense now! sorry to confuse anyone - yes - the ocean front or not referred to property not rooms, but I can see where that would be confusing since there are actual ocean front rooms at den laman. I hope to one day stay in one! :D Thanks!

I have a question that folks usually don't post about. Beds. It's great when a couple really loves a place and recommends it, but if the rooms all have one double bed it doesn't do much good for a buddy trip. I like diving with my buddies, but I would prefer to have my own bed than to sleep with those perverts.

So what place is good for a whole bunch of guys willing to share rooms but not beds?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom