Please define "World Class Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many articles mention and promote diving places as "World Class Diving".
Warm waters, +50ft visibility, lots of life to see, the blue, wrecks, walls, good infrastructure, good service, Nitrox availability, "just a shorty" as all wetsuit needed, etc, etc.
There are lots of places in the caribean and pacific latitudes that offers this, fortunately.
There are a lot more places around the world with low visibility, green waters, quarries, lakes, cold and even freezing waters, very little to see, operators far away that require to carry all gear and tanks for the whole day. Places that has all of those "bad" (?) qualifications or just a few, but are our places, where we dive frequently, near home, where we learnt to dive and where we feel comfortable, where we meet our diving friends, where we gained our belt count dives.
Those places, or those places where I dive, are my "World Class Diving".
I love to dive those paradisiacal places where I had very few opportunities to dive, but I do not refuse to dive "my places", those places where I dive frequently.
Just a thought.

World class diving = "better than we have around here" diving

That's about it. Emoreira, you're asking for a precise definition of a made-up phrase. It's a word game.

A "World Class Redhead"? That, I can assure you, :gorgeous: has a distinct and precise definition.

I agree with this NY Times article--the term "world class" is a meaningless phrase that needs to go away. Anything, including a language phrase, that is a characteristic of Donald Trump needs to go.

What people are looking for in diving is individual. What some people see as an ideal dive location and dive would probably be among the last places I would ever want to dive--and vice versa.

World class diving is the phrase used to tell people that in your opinion it is really good diving and something they should pay to see. In general use it is just a marketing phrase.

Personally it is any diving I really enjoy. But then my back yard coastal NC is sometimes called world class diving...... if the weather and water conditions cooperate.

reliable diving where you can regularly see really cool things.

A "World Class Redhead"? That, I can assure you, :gorgeous: has a distinct and precise definition.

Why, Thank you.

Bringing Sexy Back.jpg

We offer World Class Diving, just beyond the end of the road, too.

Amen.

Here's a video I shot in our local cold water quarry... I think that Dutch Springs offers world class diving!
[VIMEO]65945770[/VIMEO]

Amazing. I didn't know there was fresh water that clear. Thanks for sharing that.

There is one site I dived over 100 times one year….you drop into blue, clear water. Watch your depth as you approach 30 meters. Then, the trigger fish come into view….then the wall….you start to make a turn into the current so you can duck down on top of the wall and……watch the show. Grey reef sharks, dogtooth tuna, giant trevally …and numerous other reef fish schools. .pretty amazing and I never get tired of that dive. I would call that world class.

My definition (expectation) of "world class" diving is seeing something totally awesome that most of the planet (including most divers) don't get to see ever (or at least often). And usually it involves adventure. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom