Finally coming back to diving with a few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDive4Me

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Scubaboard, I'm happy to be a new member of this forum. I've been reading this forum everyday since I joined and absorbing as much as possible. I've been away from the sport for about 12 years and now have the yearning to get back in it. I still have most of my gear which I stored away in my garage for all this time. I'm definitely going to take a refresher course although I was AOW certified. This will tell me how much I have to catch up to where I was before.

My gear includes

Sherwood Magnum SRB5300 regulator and streamline octopus (Having these serviced before use)

Zeagle Express BCD which still holds air without any leaks

Genesis Resource Dive Computer which still holds my last 12 Dives from 12 years ago. I just placed new batteries in it and it fired up right away.

My question is, based on advancements of the gears in the sport over the past 12 years should I upgrade all my stuff or will they be fine as long as they are serviced properly.

Thanks for your time.

Keep your gear if it still fits and is still serviceable. I've bought all used gear and most of it is older than yours. I service my own gear though, so it's a little easier for me to decide not to update (I won't say "upgrade") mine.

All of the gear is probably fine just a reg overhaul and the BCD inflator checked out. Also make sure the SPG gets serviced as the spools are notorious for needing to be replaced. My wife's Zeagle is older and is still in fine shape, Some of my regs are the same age but have been fully overhauled. I would check for rot/mold/fungus on the plastic bits on masks, snorkels, mouth pieces, etc.

Visit some of your local shops and see what vibe you get about bringing your gear in for service. I.e. before bringing it in find one that can do the service at a reasonable price that you like. Ask if you can jump in the pool with your gear after it is serviced.

Although you are AOW certified you might look at taking another course as part of the refresher that way to might learn some additional skills. (i.e. the first part of the course is your refresher thus paying for the course not a refresher). It used to be that a nitrox course had required dives but is no longer the case. Unfortunately, given you are AOW most of the other single courses are meh unless you did a Rescue Diver course.

Welcome back to diving!!!!

Gear can still be used, but check soft components or plastic parts for deterioration and cracking. Gets it serviced as suggested, but be cautious of "this is too old to use". I have a bunch of equipment that is way older. Parts are the wild card id something needs replacement.

honesty time.... how good of a diver were you then? Skills would be rusty, but could be brought back with a little refresher if your training was solid. I'd suggest also to borrow someone's current OW and AOW books, and read them to understand what has changed in practice to 12 years ago. In the refresher, see if the instructor feels you are ready, or remedial work is necessary (map out something, not just buy a class). If so, take a Rescue Class. It will get you in the mindset as well as in the water. The first two years after i returned, I did Rescue, and then a Master diver program.

Lastly, go slowly, and have some fun.

I did the 8 year SI, but found it easy to return. I used advanced classes to get back into the mix of things, and to meet other divers.

Again, welcome back, and have fun!

Great, looks like I'm not missing out on some new tech that's an absolute must have. I've been looking at some air integrated computers but I'll leave that for later after I'm fully back in the water with many dives.

Although you are AOW certified you might look at taking another course as part of the refresher that way to might learn some additional skills. (i.e. the first part of the course is your refresher thus paying for the course not a refresher). It used to be that a nitrox course had required dives but is no longer the case. Unfortunately, given you are AOW most of the other single courses are meh unless you did a Rescue Diver course.

This is a great idea. I never thought about doing it this way. The Rescue Diver course was something I had wanted to do back then. I'll look into it.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 04:25 PM ----------

honesty time.... how good of a diver were you then? Skills would be rusty, but could be brought back with a little refresher if your training was solid. I'd suggest also to borrow someone's current OW and AOW books, and read them to understand what has changed in practice to 12 years ago. In the refresher, see if the instructor feels you are ready, or remedial work is necessary (map out something, not just buy a class). If so, take a Rescue Class. It will get you in the mindset as well as in the water. The first two years after i returned, I did Rescue, and then a Master diver program.

Lastly, go slowly, and have some fun.

Back then I was very comfortable in the water. I used to dive with a Sony Marine Pack handycam which must have weighed 10lbs plus out of the water and not that buoyant in the water. Today's GoPro makes the Sony look like ancient tech. This time around I'll skip the camera and just enjoy the dive as much as possible without the extra work load. Only the first dive will tell though if I still have it or freak out when I take my mask off underwater in the refresher.

Back
Top Bottom