Emirates Carry On restrictions to Dubai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
FYI, had Emirates enforce a 15 lb carry-on bag restriction on my flight from NYC to Dubai on my way to Maldives.

15 lbs is nothing and not very realistic. Ended up checking my bag. When I got on board, I saw why they enforced it. The plane over head bins are in adequate for the amount of seats.

I saw plenty of bags heavier than 15 lbs and plenty of people forced to check their bags or have their bags stored no where near their seat. It made boarding/unboarding very long as people struggled to find a place for their carry on.

This issue is not Emirates, but this particular plane. I believe it was an Airbus A380. A huge plane carrying over 500 passengers.

Oh goodie, I am about to take a multi-leg flight on an A380 with larger bags (the stop = kick everyone off, with all carry-on items, go through security, bring all your crap back on the same plane, sit back in same seat). On Singapore Air, but I expect the bins are the same.

Singapore Air is my favorite airline. Fantastic service and the flight attendants.....................:)

Hopefully they handle things differently. For future flights I will only bring bare essentials and very fragile items with me on the plane. The hassle of the overhead bins is just not worth it to me.

I know exactly what you mean re: Singapore Air! :D

Unfortunately, I don't have the miles for a bump to business this time and I refuse to pay 8500 x 2 people (by I refuse I mean she said no, of course). I used to carry on strobes, but I don't anymore. I mean, if the bag is lost with the arms and clamps, what good are strobes in my carry-on? Luckily we can cross-load the camera gear between two people, but both bags are still well over 30lbs.

We just booked a Maldives trip for 2015, hopefully I'll have enough miles in the books for an upgrade by then :)

The issue IS Emirates, NOT the plane per se. And lots of other non-US carriers - 7kg carryon limit is common. Might be mostly us that tries to schlep a mountain of stuff on board, it almost seems like a cultural thing. Singapore, Philippines, Quantas and most others I've used or looked at are the same. Probably they could configure that plane to hold lots more in the cabin if they wanted to. But since 7kg is their rule, they can configure it to support less. (I agree 7kg is way too little and rather painful, especially when it's very easy to put much more than 7kg even in the smaller size they allow. At least it can get you more headroom and a more spacious feeling, though that's not much consolation.)

It's been a long time since we flew on Emirates and I don't remember how it went. I know on Quantas we got away with US size carryon bags on the way to Australia. I think even though it was a Quantas plane/flight, much of the ground stuff was farmed out to a US carrier or there may have been a code share involved, so they didn't stop people. But we couldn't do it on the way back. Same 747 setup, it wasn't that stuff wouldn't fit, it's just what they choose to do.

It's always possible you'll get away with more depending on the airline, agent, or situation. I've seen them weigh all carryons, or not bother as long as the size looked ok, or ignore backpacks you were wearing even if they were bigger and weighed a lot. And all sorts of goofy things. Of course the trouble is you can't usually count on it.

My feeling on the experience is the overhead bin space is too little for the number of seats regardless of any carry on restriction. Seems more a mfr issue with this model plane.

On other planes, when I look above me, the entire area is the overhead bin. Not on this plane. Might have to due with it's double decker passenger design. Business and 1st class was on the floor above us.

My carry-on bags were weighed for the first time (see above for 7kg limits) on Singapore Air in LAX a few weeks ago. They had us buy a laptop bag to distribute weight around. Result was more space taken up and more weight. Makes a lot of sense, right?

The issue IS Emirates, NOT the plane per se. And lots of other non-US carriers - 7kg carryon limit is common. Might be mostly us that tries to schlep a mountain of stuff on board, it almost seems like a cultural thing. Singapore, Philippines, Quantas and most others I've used or looked at are the same. Probably they could configure that plane to hold lots more in the cabin if they wanted to. But since 7kg is their rule, they can configure it to support less. (I agree 7kg is way too little and rather painful, especially when it's very easy to put much more than 7kg even in the smaller size they allow. At least it can get you more headroom and a more spacious feeling, though that's not much consolation.)

It's been a long time since we flew on Emirates and I don't remember how it went. I know on Quantas we got away with US size carryon bags on the way to Australia. I think even though it was a Quantas plane/flight, much of the ground stuff was farmed out to a US carrier or there may have been a code share involved, so they didn't stop people. But we couldn't do it on the way back. Same 747 setup, it wasn't that stuff wouldn't fit, it's just what they choose to do.

It's always possible you'll get away with more depending on the airline, agent, or situation. I've seen them weigh all carryons, or not bother as long as the size looked ok, or ignore backpacks you were wearing even if they were bigger and weighed a lot. And all sorts of goofy things. Of course the trouble is you can't usually count on it.

It's spelled Qantas not Quantas. :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know exactly what you mean re: Singapore Air! :D

Unfortunately, I don't have the miles for a bump to business this time and I refuse to pay 8500 x 2 people (by I refuse I mean she said no, of course). I used to carry on strobes, but I don't anymore. I mean, if the bag is lost with the arms and clamps, what good are strobes in my carry-on? Luckily we can cross-load the camera gear between two people, but both bags are still well over 30lbs.

We just booked a Maldives trip for 2015, hopefully I'll have enough miles in the books for an upgrade by then :)

... better with a pm rather than here. :D

The scuba shop I go to (and teach with) has a trip there, and if you don't reserve a spot early you don't get one. I don't think it saves much money though :)

For example, we returned yesterday from Indonesia (Lembeh & Bali)...we booked the trip in Oct 2012!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom