Akumal Cavern Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glbirch

Contributor
Reaction score
Off to Akumal this spring (finally) for my Cavern Diving course. Just wondering if I'm going to be warm enough in my 3mil full suit. I usually find it more than sufficient in tropical waters, but I understand that the cenotes are a little cooler. What have you worn diving down there?

I have worn a 3mil full suit for dives less than an hour. But I use my trilam drysuit for anything longer. I have gotten soft. The water temp in the Cenotes is 74 - 76 F.

Edit to add:

By the way, who are you doing your training through?

I just came back from a trip to Akumal. I wore my 3mm one piece for the dives and started getting cold towards the end in the cenotes. I was fine with the 3mm in the ocean. My buddies were in 5mm and were fine the entire trip. The water was around 75F in the cenotes.

I wear a 3mm when diving in the ocean at Cozumel. I used it for two cavern dives and it was "adequate."

When I'm cave diving down there I wear a 7/5.

Roak

Went in November, I normally dive with a 3 mil but I rented a shorty to go over the top, It was very nice never got cold at all.

glbirch:
Off to Akumal this spring (finally) for my Cavern Diving course. Just wondering if I'm going to be warm enough in my 3mil full suit. I usually find it more than sufficient in tropical waters, but I understand that the cenotes are a little cooler. What have you worn diving down there?

I did my cavern course in a 3/2 suit last year in Akumal. It's plenty for a holidaying Canuck. My instructor is an expat Canuck. He wore his drysuit. 8)

JF

roakey:
I wear a 3mm when diving in the ocean at Cozumel. I used it for two cavern dives and it was "adequate."

When I'm cave diving down there I wear a 7/5.

Roak

I'm with Roakey. (waving at Roak!!! Missed you this year) I wore a 7/5 the first two years and this year added a 3/5 hooded vest. Missed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom