a couple of sms 50 bungee questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWAMPY459

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When you have your tank all dressed out with regs and hoses and what-not, does the bungee go around the tank valve and the hoses together, or do you kind of snake the bungee in betweeen the hoses, around the neck of the tank valve and back out without getting a hose caught between the bungee and the tank valve?

along the same lines of question, when you unclip the back of a tank and swing it around in front of you, like this... http://diving.abyss.com.au/wp-conten...unt-diving.jpg do you unclip the bungee from around the valve to do that? or leave the bungee in place on the tank??

First rule of Hollis Bungees: Lose the Hollis bungees...

Back to your questions:

There's different ways to route the bungee. I'm a 'threader'. Some route around the valve...either directly (over-under) or via the cylinder neck. It's a matter of preference - but preference is also decided by what cylinders you use, regs/hoses etc etc etc...

Take a look at the loop bungee method too..

When forward-pushing the cylinders (partial detachment), you should leave the bungees secured/in-position. Isn't that what you were taught on the course?

He disconnected his inflator hose under water. Does anyone know if that could cause problems with the inflator hose? I put Cave Adventures old school loop bungees on my SMS 50...big improvement IMO......

Could the salt water, for example, have a negative effective on how the inflator hose functions or possibly cause a problem in the first stage? I assume he can reconnect it under water? I've never been required to disconnect or reconnect an inflator hose under water that I can remember so I'm not sure on this....

Could the salt water, for example, have a negative effective on how the inflator hose functions or possibly cause a problem in the first stage? I assume he can reconnect it under water? I've never been required to disconnect or reconnect an inflator hose under water that I can remember so I'm not sure on this....
You are kidding right? That is a basic skill in every OW class I am aware of. It's one way to remedy a stuck inflator or to hook up a blow gun to shoot a bag. The inflator hose has a Schrader valve in it. Water is not going to intrude into the 1st stage and it is not going to free flow. Saltwater will no more harm it than your other stages. As long as you rise it properly. What else did your training leave out I wonder.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2014 at 03:45 PM ----------

Your profile says you're an SDI Dive Master. This was a trick question right on the inflator hose?

And that illustrates the dangers of these forums! People that should not be self educating are self educating. Take a course from a QUALIFIED instructor.

My OW training took place over 20 years ago...I probably performed this skill but don't really recall...I asked some fellow divers tonight if they were required to perform this skill in their OW class and their answer was no.....the training I've taken in the last 5 years did not include this skill....the SDI Dive Master Card I let expire several years ago and I've never actually performed duties as a Dive Master and to be honest I've always felt that training was pretty weak in my particular case....you've gotta be beyond naïve not to believe there isn't some card collecting going on even today....I've got my answer so I suggest we drop it here before this turns nasty....

And that illustrates the dangers of these forums! People that should not be self educating are self educating. Take a course from a QUALIFIED instructor.

One thing that irks me about the scuba community... How some people want to hold information hostage. "You want to know somethin? pay me."

Some of you people really have forgotten, or sadly never knew, the real reason diving kicks ass. It's right in front of you and you cannot see it.

Sad.

So we who spent in some cases tens of thousands of dollars on proper training, equipment, and invested hundreds of hours to get the proper training to be able to pass that on with the protection of liability insurance and agency backing should just give it away to those not willing to do that? Nah, sorry. Ain't gonna happen when giving that info is liable to open us up to a lawsuit from some muppet's family when they kill themselves. Spivey's family wants to sue someone because he was a cheapskate who thought doing things on his own was fine and that he didn't need formal training either. That is a good lesson for every instructor to consider when someone starts asking questions about things that really should be taught in a proper setting. I know I am re-evaluating what info I will now give out.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom