What is the Shallowest Depth at which You Notice Narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just started regularly going past 60' and I've been getting a peculiar feeling around 90', which seems a bit shallow for narcosis from what I've read. Maybe it's my imagination?

What is the shallowest depth at which you thought narcosis may have been creeping up on you?

Depends... I'd say around 90'-100' and I don't get down that deep too often but have noticed that if I'm diving for a week, it seems that my body gets used to it as the week goes on.

I have not noticed any narcosis down to the recreational limits, nor do I have any slowing of the usual tests (writing, doing math, opening a combination lock). I know one person who has reported occasionally feeling effects as shallow as 70 feet.
Tolerances vary widely, and it's entirely reasonable to think that if I were at 100FSW in cold dark water, fighting a current, tired, stressed, etc, that I would feel narced.

I get a little sloppy with some things as shallow at 85ft. I'm a big proponent of early helium for this reason.

Reactions: Jax
I don't actually feel it until around 150...not that it isn't there! I just can't actually say "yep, i feel it now" until then.

Anti-Troll Disclaimer
Yes, I am a technical diver.
No, I would not suggest diving that deep on air is a good idea.
No, I would not dive that deep with a single tank, no matter what's in it.

Noticeable around 90', gets pretty strong 100-105'. Enough so that if I don't have something I really want to see down there I will stay shallower.

Good example was Molokini back wall. Divemaster led the group to around 125' however when I hit 105' I didn't like the feeling and signaled to my wife I wanted to move shallower. Ended up moving back up to 80-90' and don't feel like I missed out on anything.

In general I only do a handful of dives deeper than 90' per year, and it is for specific reasons, and my buddies know to keep an eye on me.

Also, I have briefly felt it at shallower depths but only temporary after a fast descent.

I've been to 130 and didn't notice anything but I don't spend much time that deep on any dive.

I have gone as deep as 103'. and have not felt it. Was only at that depth for a few minutes, though.... FWIW.

Adam

I've done some really stupid things between 90 and 100 feet. But I don't feel any different. That's why I rarely go down there without helium, and never in a cave any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom