Side mount hose routing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm curious about how hose routing is currently done.
I'm sure there is not an agreed upon way yet, so I wanted to ask about what options are in use by most.

The reason I ask, is that I will probably end up getting a side mount rig, to mess around with.
Why?
Because I love diving, and I also love messing around with new gear.
Side mount does look fun, so I figured I would experiment with it.

What I am most interested in doing is having the hoses set up, to where the long hose is the primary and on the right side tank.
Or a hose routing setup that is at least close to the typical long hose setup.

I have just started looking into this, so I don't know what the current development is in the side mount world in terms of hose routing.

It seems that the inflator routing is still not universally agreed upon, so I'm not sure what IS even agreed upon at the moment.

I realize that diving independent doubles means that you have to alternate breathing tanks down. This combined with the need to gas share, my complicate hose routing, as compared to a Hogarthian setup. But I wanted to start researching it.

Also...any information about rigging hoses for a single tank setup vs. a double tank set up would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch

Thanks Jim,
I appreciate it, very much.

I'll eventually take a class...because I like training.

But I'm headed to Trashcanistan in a few weeks, so I wanted to start researching a bit right now.
I'll order some gear, and have it waiting for me when I get back home in a few months.

Speaking of Doppler, I ordered a signed copy of his first book while I was in AFGN last time; I'll do the same again this time with his new book.

This is becoming a trend with his books and my desert trips.
I should ask about when his 3rd book is coming out, so I can project y next trip. :wink:

I appreciate the help, Jim.
:cheers:

I know for me I just switched to Hollis 500 SE's so now going behind the neck is not necessary anymore, I will see how it feels, but may go back to the other way.

For now, my thinking is that I would like to have a setup that is similar to the long hose configuration I have been diving.

But I'll keep an open mind about that; because I realize the independent/side mounted double tanks might not make that so practical.

I am also very curious about the single tanks setup for side mount.

I am still researching the Side mount BCs. So far it's between the Razor, Nomad, and the smaller lift Halcyon Contour that is supposed to be coming out in a few months.
There are a LOT of other options out there, and I haven't even scratched the surface on that yet.

For doubles, I like to take my long hose off the left, start down, put in a loop, then up around my neck from the left. I like this method because it comes off the same way as in bm doubles, but doesn't cross in front and keeps down the clutter, clips to right upper d-ring when not in use, right short hose starts down and the up to a necklace on a right angle. This setup is great for hose routing from my tek3's.

For warm water singles, I mount my cylinder on the left, I start up and around left neck, the octo starts down in a loop and tucked in nice at the valve. Inflator stays in the bands, probably could go without it.
Reg is in, handle to left, this rig is for warm water, and I go with standard yoke valves, easy to find, easy to dive, bungie gets wrapped under the handle, and on to the yoke nut. Lots of different ways to do it but that's mine.

Contact Edd at Cave Adventures in Mariana, Fl.. Buy a copy of his sidemounting book he wrote for PSAI. He is also a good one to talk to on different sidemounting systems. The Hollis sms 75 and the Hog rig are both really good for off the shelf systems.

Thanks Bama!

I'm in San Destin at the moment. If I had more time here, I would probably drive there and check it out.
I will definitely call and order the book.

I didn't know HOG released their side mount rig yet.
I thought it was just shown at DEMA, but not yet released.

I'll use some Google Fu, and search for it.

Thanks.
-Mitch

Neither the Hollis sms 75 or hog sidemounting systems are released as far as I know. Edd has one of each that you can take for a test dive as well as the Halcyon and modified Hollis sms 100. Definitely worth the drive from the Destin area.

I might juggle some things around, and head over there.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom