Child care in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vic McAlister

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all.

My wife and I are trying to possibly plan a trip tp Roatan in late August/early September. Checking in Anthony's Key, CoCo, or Fantasy Isle. However, it might be a problem finding someone at home to leave the kods with. We are thinking that locking them in the closest might work, but I was told that DHS says that's a no-no.

They will be 5 & 3. I understand the dolphin camp is great for the 5 year old, but what else for the kids. Besides, what of child care, or is it even offered besides the "camp??"

Hmmmm..... the closet sounds better and better for the little monsters. :-/

Suggestions and/or comments are appreciated.

Respectfully,

Vic

Vic McAlister:
My wife and I are trying to possibly plan a trip tp Roatan in late August/early September. Checking in Anthony's Key, CoCo, or Fantasy Isle. However, it might be a problem finding someone at home to leave the kods with. We are thinking that locking them in the closest might work, but I was told that DHS says that's a no-no. They will be 5 & 3. I understand the dolphin camp is great for the 5 year old, but what else for the kids. Besides, what of child care, or is it even offered besides the "camp??"
Hmmmm..... the closet sounds better and better for the little monsters.

Never use the closet. Handcuffs rust, we just use rope or cable ties- the big ones.

AKR does indeed have a kids-camp program. Check out their website for information- but I do know they keep the little buggers pretty busy. Honestly- this is but one reason I don't like AKR- kids are present and are quite often not as well behaved as your and my mom would have allowed us- esepecially at the dining facility.

CCV offers child care, but I think that's the most that can be said- they don't entertain them- they just change diapers and amuse 2 year olds- they have a regular provider that they call. It's no place for a kid that isn't a hondo snorkeling fan or an OW cert candidate. I have seen one particular family bring youngsters to CCV for certification in that PADI Jr Diver thingamajig- then hire them their own DM for the week. The kids ate it up big time and CCV is the perfect place to learn.

I think FIBR may also offer programs, but they simply do not enjoy the same easy breezy shore dive as CCV, something kids can really use!

Most resorts on Roatan can provide infant/juvenile care- some use known island providers that they contact and contract on a case by case basis and need.

Have fun- but slather the kids regularly with DEET and instruct the caregivers to do this for you in your absence. Take some Benadryl for kids along, too.

At 5 and 3, I think CCV would be the last place I'd take them. Friends with kids of a similar age really like AKR. They have actual planned programs for the kids while mom and dad are diving. That would be my vote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom