Opinions on Tobago vs. Grenada vs. St. Vincent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethr524

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are trying to plan our springtime scuba trip. We've been to numerous islands in the Caribbean (Bonaire, Curacao, Dominica, Saba, T&C, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, Utila, Cozumel, Belize), and we're eager to try something new. We prefer less crowded islands where the focus is on great diving as opposed to land-based activities or night life. We've heard that the Atlantic side of Tobago can have some good diving, and we've also been told that St. Vincent is somewhat undiscovered (and good) as a dive destination. Grenada is another option that has been mentioned to us.

What can you tell us about these 3 islands? Which has the best diving? Liveliest coral? Any big fish? Mostly macro stuff?

Would love to hear suggestions and recommendations.

Curious too. Doing Carriacou this Dec. Tobago looks interesting but from Toronto all flights leave late! Arrivals in Tobago are 1am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

...We prefer less crowded islands where the focus is on great diving as opposed to land-based activities or night life. We've heard that the Atlantic side of Tobago can have some good diving...

Tobago would seem to fit the bill for you. The north end (Speyside) is for advanced divers as waves and current are factors.

I'd start by renting a Jeep from Sheppy. He's a retired policeman and people on the island know his cars. Give him a call when you get in and he will pick you up (and drop you off at the airport). A cab will cost you $20 for a mile ride... Driving is really hairy, so just take your time (it's a few hour drive that you do not want to do the first time at night).

You can either stay in Speyside (Atlantic side) or in Charlotteville (Caribbean side - closer to "the Sisters" a small island and divesite). As they are at the top of the island they are close together, but diving can be quite different on the same day (regardless of some weather, you may have a choice).

As far as accommodation is concerned, the Blue Water Inn is nice (although expensive considering Tobago standards). They have a diving operation on-site. This is the closest thing to a tourist hotel in the north of the island.

Charlotteville is a small fishing village that is simple. There is a small diving shop with some accommodation here (Shark Shakes), but I don't think much of the Instructor's abilities or equipment, so wouldn't recommend her. She's also the owner. There are several Guesthomes on Man o' War Bay which I've stayed in. CaribStu (excellent DM/Instructor) use to be here but moved his operation to Trinidad a couple of years back.

Hi Beth.

I live and work in the region you're talking about as a dive professional (for one of the dive centres). You're interested in coming to a beautiful spot for your diving. There are many good things about diving in St Vincent, The Grenadines and Grenada. I'll let you know a little about my little spot which is in the Southern Grenadines and may tempt you.

The Grenadine islands is a volcanic archipelago which strings itself between St Vincent in the north and and Grenada to the south. I live on the largest of the Grenadine Islands (Carriacou) and dive regularly around the second largest island (Union), as well as Grenada. The diving around the larger islands is very different to the smaller islands, and I and sure this is something to do with a combination of the weather, currents and also usage of the fisheries. Whilst the southern shores of Grenada certainly get more than their fair share of large palegiacs (Manta's, Tuna, Marlin etc), we're often told of a dearth of reef fish. Around the smaller islands we have some amazing reefs which are literally teeming with life. A combination of hard and soft corals, with fish from large snapper and chub, long long schools of wrasse and chromi's and very frequent sightings of nurse sharks, rays (including spotted eagle) and spiny lobsters. On the gentle caribbean side there is also plenty off opportunity for the critter hunters too, particularly up at Bequia! A must see is the turtle sanctuary within the Tobago Cays marine park and the Cousteau famous site of the horseshoe reef.

In Carriacou specifically, we have the amazing Sisters Rocks with two spectacularly different sides to the islands. One loaded with hard corals, including a forest of healthy black coral, whilst the other is all soft ferns and sea fans. The diversity of marine life there can be breathtaking. Check out the video from my dive centre at Deefer Diving Carriacou - YouTube to see what we managed to pull together in one day last year!

If there is anything you'd like to know about diving in this region, then PM me or write back on the board here and I'd be more than happy to talk to you about diving in Grenada, Carriacou, Union and Bequia.... all of which I love and enjoy diving every day.

Gary
Dive Carriacou with Deefer Diving PADI 5 Star Centre

My husband and I are trying to plan our springtime scuba trip. We've been to numerous islands in the Caribbean (Bonaire, Curacao, Dominica, Saba, T&C, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, Utila, Cozumel, Belize), and we're eager to try something new. We prefer less crowded islands where the focus is on great diving as opposed to land-based activities or night life. We've heard that the Atlantic side of Tobago can have some good diving, and we've also been told that St. Vincent is somewhat undiscovered (and good) as a dive destination. Grenada is another option that has been mentioned to us.

What can you tell us about these 3 islands? Which has the best diving? Liveliest coral? Any big fish? Mostly macro stuff?

Would love to hear suggestions and recommendations.

Hi Gary,

We'll be seeing you in Dec! I'll email in a few months to confirm a few details, tickets to Barbados are already booked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have experience with both Grenada as well as Tobago. Grenada was good but I highly recommend Tobago for it's abundance and size of marine life which is influenced by the nutrient rich Orinoco flow from South America. DCBC gave a good description. Blue Waters Inn at Speyside has very good accommodations and meals as well as an onsite dive shop. My first diving experience was a shore dive with them and I was hooked ever since. Lots to see - huge coral formations, turtles, barracuda, sharks, eels, etc.

I live in Grenada currently and dive weekly - happy to share anything you'd like to know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom