Diving from Basel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read your post to my Swiss wife (not a diver) and she pointed out that Italy is a pretty easy destination by train. This is an uninformed opinion but you might look for something there. It you dive, though, make sure to take any decompression precautions needed before taking a train into the high mountain passes.

DFB

I live in Switzerland, I have been a few times to southern Croatia by car (about a day's drive) and to Gran Canaria by plane (~4 hours flight from Basel). The best bang for the buck might be Marsa Alam, with its liveaboards. Edelweiss flies there non-stop from Zürich.

If you are into wrecks, then you should check out Malta, air Malta has a direct flight from Zürich.

there are some very nice lakes in driving distance though you definitely would want a dry suit

There are a lot of nice dive sites in Switzerland. Yes, I admit it is a bit cold, but in summer when it's really hot outside I'm diving with a 7mm wetsuit plus 7mm ice vest (in winter, yes, you need a dry suit). There are a lot of dive clubs which organize dives in the different lakes. Maybe you should try it and join one of them.
Regarding things to see in a lake: A month ago we saw a lot of crabs and fish in the lake of "Neuenburg", for me it was really interesting.
Let me know if you have more questions, I'm happy to help.

The picture of the crab as evidence :D:

Krebs Neuenburgersee.jpg

Back
Top Bottom