VEO 2.0 at altitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agility

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Veo 2.0 has served me well during my last 180 dives though for some reason the history shows 599min as my longest dive (which is inpossible as I have never stayed under water that long) and the highest altitude dive at El4 (possibly because I once turned it on on board a airplane, though it should not have recorded a dive)

I tried to contact support via e-mail but the address in the manual does not seem to be correct any more, so I will paste my questions here :)

as I am reading about high altitude diving at the time I have reread the manual
for my Veo 2.0 in German (and because I thought I might have misunderstood
some of it I read it in English, too)

On page 97 the adaptation to altitude is described, but I cannot interpret
the sentence
"At Sea Level, calculations are based upon an Altitude of 6,000 feet"
I would have thought the calculations should be based upon an altitude of zero
feet at sea level and the capitalization in the sentence suggests an error in
translation.

Can the Veo be used as a bottom timer (in Gauge mode) at altitudes above 14,000
feet? I do not expect to dive at that extreme altitude, but would like to know
all the same.

Another question arises concerning the measurement of barometric pressure (and
hence altitude) upon switching on the unit: what happens if the measurements
are not within the range of 1ft?
Which pressure is assumed? 1.013mbar? 1.000mbar? the last correctly measured pressure? Is there an error message?

I can't really say much about your other questions, but I can tell you from experience that the 599 min dive the computer logged is also the one at EL4 and you've now found out why turning on the computer in an airplane is a bad idea. I'm willing to bet that the "depth" of that dive is 8 or 9 ft.My Veo 3.0 turned on by itself in a plane once (it may have been against a damp towel in my bag); I tried contacting Oceanic via a contact us form on their website and never heard back. I eventually had the unit replaced through my LDS for a different but possibly related problem.

My Veo 2.0 has served me well during my last 180 dives though for some reason the history shows 599min as my longest dive (which is inpossible as I have never stayed under water that long) and the highest altitude dive at El4 (possibly because I once turned it on on board a airplane, though it should not have recorded a dive)

I tried to contact support via e-mail but the address in the manual does not seem to be correct any more, so I will paste my questions here :)

as I am reading about high altitude diving at the time I have reread the manual
for my Veo 2.0 in German (and because I thought I might have misunderstood
some of it I read it in English, too)

On page 97 the adaptation to altitude is described, but I cannot interpret
the sentence
"At Sea Level, calculations are based upon an Altitude of 6,000 feet"
I would have thought the calculations should be based upon an altitude of zero
feet at sea level and the capitalization in the sentence suggests an error in
translation.

Can the Veo be used as a bottom timer (in Gauge mode) at altitudes above 14,000
feet? I do not expect to dive at that extreme altitude, but would like to know
all the same.

Another question arises concerning the measurement of barometric pressure (and
hence altitude) upon switching on the unit: what happens if the measurements
are not within the range of 1ft?
Which pressure is assumed? 1.013mbar? 1.000mbar? the last correctly measured pressure? Is there an error message?

I suspect that sentence / point is meant to be read as a follow on to the previous:

"When the Conservative Factor is set On, NDLs are calculated based upon the next higher 3,000 foot (915 meter) Altitude."

IOW, I read it as when conservative is set on, the next higher 3,000 altitude is used with a minimum of 6,000 feet used at sea level.

I could, of course, be completely wrong.

Thank you for your replies.
As I said the log does not bother me, I was just curious.
As long as manuals are written with incomprehensive sentences in them nobody should complain they are not read (by most users)
I wish the manufacturer were easier to reach, this is his forum, isn't it?

You'd think so, but I've seen very little imput from any oceanic reps on this forum since Doug Krause become VP of Aeris (I think that's what he is now)... before that he was pretty good at answering stuff on here.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom