Maybe white-tip reef sharks control lionfish in the Indo-pacific?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b-dog

Contributor
Reaction score
I was watching a video about white-tip reef sharks and they are a perfect reef predator at night. They can detect the slightest muscle movement of fish hiding on the reef so I was wondering if they also eat lionfish. It seems that lionfish would be easy prey for white-tip reef sharks because they are slow and white-tip reef sharks swim through all the nooks and crannies searching for prey. There are no white-tip reef sharks in the Caribbean so that might be why there are high numbers in the Caribbean? Just a thought.

err... as I understand it, the reason why there are "kill lion fish" campaigns and why there have been efforts to get sharks to eat them in the west is because they aren't native to the Caribbean Sea and surrounding waters.

they are native to the Indo-Pacific, hence humans would be actively changing the natural ecosystem, something that's done alright for millions of years without humans trying to "control" it.

I don't think I have ever seen it mentioned but, in the Indo-Pacific where they are native; what are the Lion Fishes natural predators? What keeps them in check over there?:confused:

Not sure if white tips prey on lionfish in the Indo Pacific, but groupers and their relatives do. The problem in the Caribbean is that the groupers and relatives there haven't historically been exposed to lionfish, and don't see them as prey, so the lionfish propagate freely as they vacuum the reefs clean of small fish.

Judging by the this thread I'm guessing it's safe to say no study has been done on what does control the lionfish population in its native habitant?

Why not?

---------- Post added January 13th, 2014 at 01:20 PM ----------

Not sure if white tips prey on lionfish in the Indo Pacific, but groupers and their relatives do. The problem in the Caribbean is that the groupers and relatives there haven't historically been exposed to lionfish, and don't see them as prey, so the lionfish propagate freely as they vacuum the reefs clean of small fish.

As cruel as it is maybe the thing to do is to spear the LF and let it swim around wounded. Any wounded fish is prey to a predator.

All I can say is that there is nothing in the Caribbean like the white-tip reef shark. These sharks hunt in packs at night swimming through every nook and cranny to find sleeping fish. These are the areas where lionfish hide so they must eat at least some of them. Other sharks and groupers never make their way through the inner parts of the reef like the the white-tips do so the chance of them finding lionfish has got to be a lot lower than white-tips.

There are lots of lionfish in places other than shallow reefs. We see them on our offshore wrecks. So it takes a variety of predators.

It does seem kind of odd that every article I read says we have no natural predators to deal with them but never go on to say what their natural predators are in their native waters.

I do think a big key in getting the native population of fish to view lionfish as food is tantamount of the fish to associate the fish on its own as food, not because a diver feeds it to them.

Here are some natural predators of lionfish in the Indo-Pacific and Red Sea:

Lionfish Facts: Frequently Asked Questions About Invasive Lionfish : The World Lionfish Hunters Association
Do lionfish have natural predators in the Indo-Pacific Oceans and Red Sea?

Natural predators in the Indo-Pacific and Red Sea that are known to eat lionfish include sharks, cornetfish, grouper, large eels, frogfish and other scorpionfish. There is speculation that large snapper and some species of trigger fish eat lionfish in their native ranges as well.

When we hear that lionfish have no natural predators outside of those waters, it's because those sharks, grouper, eels, frogfish, scorpionfish, etc. haven't adapted to eating them or recognizing them as prey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom