What's a lumpsucker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've recently seen many photo's of lumpsuckers. Jody, NWgratefuldiver, even TS&M seem to know what a lumpsucker is. I see pictures of.... Nothing except a sponge, really. What is a lumpsucker, do they have faces, and why are they so rare?

It's a fish. We have one species locally (Cyclopterus lumpus) but I'm sure there are more varieties of them.

R..

226122_10151391925209216_1199095572_n.jpg

22089_10151391925229216_1220170068_n.jpg

76136_10151391925259216_736838537_n.jpg

Imagine a golf ball covered in flat scales, colored anything from pale green to screaming hot pink, with goggle eyes, and swimming by frantically buzzing its pectoral fins and looking for all the world like a demented helicopter. That's a lumpsucker. Small ones are pea-sized, and big ones are golf-ball sized, and they live in the eel grass at our Redondo Beach site, in 20 feet of water, in the wintertime, and they're hard to find except at night.

Here's a delightful video that captures why we go to such lengths to find these silly fish:

[video=youtube;muq3MQwjK-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muq3MQwjK-k[/video]

Very cute. Ambush predators? Looks a bit like a frogfish.

Very cute

They are, as you can see, very poor swimmers, and are primary found adhering to some type of structure with the sucker which is a specialized development of the pelvic fins. They eat sessile invertebrates like worms and small molluscs. I don't think they can move fast enough to ambush anything!

Gotta send that video to my granddaughter.

I don't think they can move fast enough to ambush anything!

I've seen them ambush. I've had one get used to my dive light and it was feeding right in front of me. It would wait for tiny critters come by and then woosh! dart in and chomp up! I had no idea they could move so fast!

-yelloweye

Back
Top Bottom