Nikon d80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have the camera and housing already, it will work fine. It has less pixels than current models and probably less focus points, but most UW shots are spot focus and there are plenty of pixels to take nice pictures to post on forums, facebook or display on your computer. If the camera and housing combo is available cheaply, as a package, it would be a worthwhile purchase. If you have only the camera, or have to pay a premium for the camera or housing, your investment in something more current wouldn't be that much more and you should get something newer.

What would be the top choices for nikon? I hear d7100 is one of the best, true?

Top choice for Nikon? I'd answer D3X. Unfortunately, it's got an MSRP of about $8,000.

D7100 is a really great body, my biggest complaint would be the DX sensor. Keep in mind, an SLR housing is going to add an additional $1500 at least to your price.

I put together an underwater system with a D7100 and have managed to produce some decent photos with it. I'm certainly not a professional, but the DX sensors on my D7100 underwater system and on my old D300 seem to work quite well. Both cameras have produced excellent photos. Opinions vary pretty widely with regards to cameras. Blue Water Photo has a variety of reviews on its underwater photography guide website (Underwater Photography Guide). You might want to look at some reviews.

-AZTinman

The d80 is a very capable camera. It is great to learn on and takes photos just as well as any of the other crop frames out there. It lacks the gimmicks of the d7100 and d300 but it is built like a rock and does a great job. I have had plenty of photos taken with my d80 published and win photo contests so yes it is a hood camera.

The most important piece of equipment to have is the 12" behind the camera. If you learn how to use a camera then you will be able to take a good shot with damn near anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom