Locations that offer Diving and Stand Up Paddleboarding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I would like to know if any of you have been to location within the Caribbean that offers both diving and stand up paddleboarding. I saw some paddleboarders in Puerto Rico during my last trip and thought it would be fun to learn. I could go back there but thought some of you might have ideas.

Thanks!

Paddleboarding has gotten pretty popular so I'd guess you'll find it at least at any dive destination large enough to have operators offering a range of water activities. The first that came to mind was Grand Cayman, since there's actually alot more non-diving visitors and lots of water activities on offer - and sure enough if you google "paddleboard cayman" you will find stuff. Same for Bonaire or Curacao. Repeat.

There is great Stand Up paddle boarding in Palm Beach...along with the great diving.
Your choices for SUP include the huge area of the Intra-coastal waterway, where you have enormous areas of mangroves and wildlife to paddle around, with flat calm conditions---this is estuarine, and not exposed in the ocean. Estuarine, means that there are rivers and canals emptying into this large waterway connected to the ocean--the inlets are the places you go in and out on the intercoastal to ocean.

Operators like Jim Abernethy Scuba Adventures, or Pura Vida divers, will be happy to hook you up with great dives, as well as to arrange your Paddleboard outings.
brochure-email-vs_Page_2.jpg
This is the intracoastal area you would probably enjoy doing your SUP outings in. Or, you can paddle just off the beach on Singer Island, if you want surf.
The diving is like this :
[video=youtube;tEeKwgihaw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEeKwgihaw8&list=UUsM5Za9Kc3DbP7Qo3-Zmz9w&feature=share&index=4[/video]

So try either Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures | ( ask them to handle your SUP outings as well as diving, and they will help with your hotel bookings as well)
or Pura Vida.....Discover Florida Scuba Diving :: Pura Vida Divers

Jlevine:
Just go back to Puerto Rico. Jose Rafolds owner of Aquatica Dive and Surf in Aguadilla specializes in Scuba diving, Surfing and Paddle boarding. He is located out Gate 5 off old Ramey AFB in Aguadilla.

Wow! I appreciate all the feedback. So many great choices! And, yes, Gino, it's tempting to just go back to PR!

Wow! I appreciate all the feedback. So many great choices! And, yes, Gino, it's tempting to just go back to PR!

Here is Aquatica Dive and Surf Trip Advisor link ( Rank 2 of 18 attraction in Aguadilla PR) Aquatica Dive & Surf - Aguadilla - Reviews of Aquatica Dive & Surf - TripAdvisor. Thier facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AquaticaPR, their website: Aquatica Dive Surf SUP Tours | Lessons and Gear |. I known Jose since the 80's but I have no stake in his business. He is a great guy and will take good care of you....

Brac Scuba Shack, Cayman Brac, has a fleet of brand new paddleboards(SUPs) The lagoon in front of the shop is calm with plenty of turtles and eagle rays. And of course the diving is spectacular. It's pretty easy to do, so lessons aren't really necessary. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom