Beach houses adjacent to CoCo View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all -

I am looking forward to my first trip to Roatan and Coco View. I am signed up to go and some friends will be joining me (calling in their reservations separately but we'll all be staying together).

In making reservations, I was informed that the resort rooms had filled up and that we would therefore be placed into beach houses that are adjacent to the resort itself. If rooms open up at the resort we would then be moved.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with these adjacent houses. How far is the walk, what are they like, any safety considerations since they are not at the resort itself, advantages/disadvantages, etc. I've heard such great things about Coco View I'm sure it will be great, and the reservation is made and paid, so really I'm just curious if anyone can give me a preview of what it will be like.

Thanks,
Tim

Quite often, these reservations do convert into the rooms that you originally requested- as those reserved rooms open up from group bookings that may fall short in numbers. That said, you're still at Coco View, have no doubt.

One advantage that some find in the Beach Houses is that you can cook for yourself. Personally, what with the available quantity of diving at CCV, I prefer to take meals at the main Clubhouse instead of taking time out of my dive-day for that kind of thing. So, even if friends are staying in the Beach Houses, I always recommend that they stay with the meal package available from the resort itself. This is not to say that you might not want the Beach House manager to do some advance grocery shopping for you and have a few fun things in the fridge.

The Beach Houses stretch to the East, along the shoreline, and are accessed along a hard sandy two track path. There are bicycles for your use, but most folks seem to prefer to walk. From the furthest rental unit I would say it might be a four minute amble. Of course, they haul your luggage and all of that. We owned BH13 which is not a rental unit, the last one on the end. I enjoyed the walk until I met an orthopedic surgeon :(

Picture34-3.png

Here are the floor plans Playa Miguel Beach Houses, Roatan

A nice advantage to the Beach Houses is the usual private atmosphere of the standard CCV room is expanded physically to include a large pice of real estate. If you want to get an all-over tan, not likely that anyone will be intruding except the house-maid, and she don't care :wink:

As far as security, most anybody on Roatan with any sense has some sort of security. CCV and Playa Miguel are well protected 24/7. It is essentially on its own private island off of Roatan, has a professional level crew and is known as a "hard target". Unlike other resorts, no one is at CCV other than fellow guests and a small, long-term staff. I leave bright shiny objects unattended and in full view there all the time.

You are in for a first rate Caribbean dive experience. There are not many real-deal dive resorts out there anymore, but this is a perfect example of how one should be designed and operated. These pix are of the resort and show the standard rooms: CoCoView Explained In Pictures Photos by Doc_Adelman | Photobucket

The diving is 24/7 and even at my doddering age I still manage to bang out 27 in a week. I dive this zone very shallow (on air) because that's where all the cool stuff is. This is micro/macro paradise... go very very slowly, take a flashlight, buy or bring a glass magnifier. Do a shore dive every night- the intact 140' wreck lies just in front- easy navigation so you can't get lost.

DSC_0007.jpg

CCV is situated in a very unique (4 mile long) u/w terrain compared to anywhere else on Roatan and in the Mar Caribe. Very shallow walls that break in 5-30 fsw, dropping vertically to the first sandy shelf at 90', bathed in direct Sunlight throughout the day- this provides and extremely florid environment that boats the largest varieties of soft and hard corals. Hidden here, in plain view, is the nursery for the reef, all the incredibly cool macro stuff. CCV is where the photographers stay and shoot for magazine covers. Diving varies dramatically in the Caribbean, no less so than it does on Roatan, depending upon where you go. This is the u/w environment that is sought out by these seasoned divers- it us unique in the Caribbean.

I dive 7 to 8 weeks each year, but when I ask my wife where she wants to go, we're always returning "home" to Coco View.

I think doc probably told you everything you need to know, but I'll through in a quick personal report. We stayed at one of the beach houses for two nights until a couple rooms opened up at the resort. I think we stayed at Manana. Personally, I thought it was great. lots of privacy and the bedroom AC worked. I took a bike back and forth. Easy.
Melissa

I have also stayed in BH-5 one of the Playa Miguel accommodations. If I were you I would spend the extra money and stay in the beach house for the duration of the trip. When I was there it was approximately 60 dollars more per person for the entire 7 days, best deal I've ever heard of. The house we stayed in had two bedrooms. One had a king size bed and the other had two singles. Also the couch in the living room was a sleeper as well. There is a full size kitchen and fridge and you can order fruit and breakfast items that will be delivered for you. We had a very nice stretch of beach and nice lounge chairs along with a nice screened in patio. I would highly recommend staying in one of the BHs.

I stayed in Beach House 7 last fall, and it was not bad. I used the free bikes to get back and forth, and it was less than a 5-minute bike ride. There was a hammock in BH7 that I liked. There was also a clothesline that came in handy to hang wet clothes, swim suits, and wetsuits.

I never felt concerned about safety and security while at the beach house. The housekeepers came every day to clean, and I didn't have any issues.

I have to admit, I was a little frightened at first of the geckos (they are huge), but they are harmless. They like to come out at night to eat bugs.

The staff there are great about transporting your luggage to/from the beach house on your arrival and departure day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom