Atlantis Azores Trip Report January 11 -18, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Atlantis Azores Trip Report January 11-18, 2014
Bohol Itinerary

Weather: Rainy at times, moderate winds, partly cloudy skies. Low 80’s F
Water temp: Mid 80’s F / 28C
Log Entry by Capt’ Todd

Sunday and Monday:
Panglao is where we started the week off, breezy and rainy, but comfortably warm! That was just fine with our guests from Vladivostok, Russia. Visibility was 15 meters plus most of the time, and our divers all showed strong dive skills. They all being members of charter master Sergeis’ dive shop “Prim”, it was a walk in the park for them.

Tuesday:
We ran north early in the morning for Cabilao Island. Spent the entire day there diving the impressive walls, and with a hearty current behind us it was like a carnival ride cruising along the sheer vertical reef, eyeing everything that passed by. Headed back to Balicasag in the evening.

Wednesday:
Woke up early for a 7:00 am dive, followed by two more after breakfast before heading to Alona Beach where vans were waiting to take everyone on a shore excursion to see the famous Tarsier Monkeys, among other things. I went along as the “attache” (because I’m the captain and I hadn’t seen the monkeys yet!) and had a great time with my Russian friends. Just the drive alone was a hoot, cruising through hamlet after hamlet surrounded by rice paddies and dense vegetation, a real look into the rural life of the Philippines. The monkeys didn’t disappoint (photo) and the Butterfly Farm was a unique experience for everyone. The “Chocolate Hills” were green this time of year (they’re brown in the dry season - look like they’re made of chocolate!) and the long hike up the 200 something steps there provided everyone with a breathtaking view. Got back to the boat just in time for Christian’s supper spread, and we were HUNGRY.

Thursday:
A straight shot across the Cebu Strait brought us to one of the highlights of the trip, a visit with the Whale Sharks of Oslob. There were at least three giants that I counted. We spent the remainder of the day and night at Liluan Point, a stretch of dive sites adjacent to a commercial pier and ferry terminal with a fierce current most of the time. Because we dive from “live” inflatables, current is a good thing as we just “go with the flow” and our trusty skiff drivers are there where and when we surface.

Friday:
Sumilon Island was our destination for the remainder of the trip. We did three dives along the sloping walls there and then it was “back to the barn” at Atlantis Resort at Dumaguete where additional dives on the hotel day boats awaited those with the stamina to continue. A nice dinner in the resort that evening was highlighted by an appearance by Azores/Atlantis owner Gordon, who stopped by to make sure everyone enjoyed themselves …and they did…:)

Philippines land tour1 001.jpgP1160063.jpg
P1160053.jpgPhilippines land tour1 004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom