Shore Diving Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serpentara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So does PADI or any of the certification agencies offer a class on shore diving? I have done mostly shore dives, but severely injured myself coming in from a shore dive about a month and a half ago, requiring that I use crutches for 4 weeks (torn meniscus and a bone contusion.) I got back on the horse the weekend I was off the crutches, but it is mainly because conditions have been great, with 0-1 ft surf. I am concerned that I may be gunshy now about moderate to average surf.

I live in SoCal, where shore diving offers the most opportunity and frankly many beautiful dives. Are there any classes that teach techniques for entries (and more importantly exits) from a shore dive with surf? Something that explains when to call off a dive, and when to push through?

Going out seems easier for me than going in. Outbound you can just watch the sets and time your entrance. Once your fins are on you can just swim through anything like you were bodysurfing. Coming in it takes much longer, and it's much harder to time everything.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Im surprised more shops with local diving dont offer something like this, but then it would probably take away from their "boat" revenue. I dont think an agency needs to get involved, as that will simply cost more. But it would have some value if you have never done a shore dive before.

I dont know if its "right" but I too struggled on the exit until I decided to climb out of my BCD before exiting. This allowed me to climb out quickly and then simply throw/lift the bcd to safe ground. (gentle as possible). I found I got out quicker and my gear didnt get knocked around as much.

Of course each entry/exit is different, and must be planned for accordingly. I also learned that getting in and out before the dive with just fins and mask gave me a good idea of potential problems.

Great question....and great idea.

PADI, to the best of my knowledge, does not offer such a class. From time to time Los Angeles County used to offer an RRR (Reef, Rock and Rips..I think). But I have not heard of any course offering since it was turned over the the Dept. Of Parks and Rec.

I think there really is a need for this type of training, especialy here in So Cal. Now...I am off to start writing a PADI Shore/Beach Diving Distintive Specialty. Stay tuned!

great question and i anticipate some of our very experienced members for their replies.

In Cali I'm guessing it's the surf that upsets you (literally). In my few New England shore dives, it's walking/climbing on big rocks in full gear without "cracking one's head open" (to repeat a childhood phrase). The actual water is a relief once you finally get there.

I'm a Gulf boy these days who dives off boats. Much smoother. Much more expensive ;-) But I'm glad I tried that first before shore diving (at least off rocky beaches at the foot of rocky cliffs that is)

Would people actually go to classes, you think? I just learned it by watching the divers in front of me. Don't go first as a newbie! Nor last either, someone has to see you if you crash...

I cover shore entries in my open water program as we are all diving from shore. There are many types of shore sites that all require varied exit strategies. Determine the one that works for you for that site and use it.
Admittedly I do not take OW students out if conditions do not favor a stress free exit.

Ultimately it is up to the diver to determine he can safely exit the water before going in, The exit should be part of the plan.

My open water class was from the shore with waves, and many of us went down at least once.

The wave that took me out for a month was down in Laguna. It was not a paricularly big one, but it broke right in front of me, and there was a heavy surge that day. I had planted myself to sholder into to it, and it knocked me over with all of my gear on, taking out my knee in the process.

Which beach were you injured at? Different beaches require different strategies. Vet's can have a steep step right at the shoreline at times. If there are small to medium waves you can crouch down behind the step and let the wave lift you over it. If you miss the timing you can always crawl out. Laguna Beach is relatively easy with moderate surf. Just keep making your way slowly toward shore. When the water stops moving, run quickly. La Jolla Shores can look brutal, but more often than not the waves have little power behind them. When you hear/see/feel a wave coming up from behind, turn sideways to it, bend your knees and let it pass by before continuing toward shore.
Marineland (Terranea) is another story. If the surf is three feet or higher, go home. You will probably join the long list of divers injured here. If it is diveable, surface behind the surf zone. When you can stand on the bottom, remove your fins and hold on to them for dear life. Take baby steps toward the rocky beach, stopping whenever a wave is coming. Never turn your back on the surf here. Don't rush when you get close to dry land. Continue taking baby steps until you are completely out of the water. If you fall you can either let the surf pull you back out and try again or crawl to the rocks and hope a wave doesn't smash you face-first into the ground.

Don't do it this way

Also, never try to enter from Long Point if there is any water movement.

I was injured in Crescent Bay. I think part of the problem was I planted my foot in the sand and straight legged it instead of bending my knee. Foot stayed put as the rest of me toppled over.

My buddy and I did that exact exit in Old Marineland. They say God protects idiots and children. Considering we are both in our thirties, I think the former may have applied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom