Entanglement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

razorbackdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I often spearfish in spots that surface fishermen use, as result there are times when I'm diving in low vis conditions with fishing hooks attached to tree limbs via mono filament line dangling about. I have been snagged twice and have had no problem dealing with the issue. My problem is I have a buddy that is wanting to dive some of these sites with me. I'm really not sure I'm going to do this but on the other hand I figure he might find himself in a similar spot and it would be better if I were there to assist. Is there a hand signal that a diver can use to indicate they are entangled?

the hand signal for "line" is when you cross your first two fingers.

if you are signalling entanglement, you make the sign for "line" and then move those fingers in the shape of a figure eight.

edit: found a picture

Attachments

• W52_pasted_61.jpeg
    W52_pasted_61.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 2,208
If your buddy is behind you and you are trapped, crossing your fins will tell them that you are stuck.

Thanks for the info. I've found that freeing myself from fishing hooks isn't that big of a deal as long as you recognise the problem early and don't make any extranous movements that compound the problem. Just thought it would help to keep my dive buddy calm if he knew he was effectively communicating his situtation to me. Did not want to make something up if there was an established signal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom