Sharks in Nebraska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjrob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, not really...but we are working to help protect them.

Some really smart high school kids here in Omaha have crafted what they hope will soon become a Legislative Bill in the Nebraska Unicameral. The bill seeks to ban the sale of any products containing shark fins within the State of Nebraska. I had the honor of reading their bill early on and am very impressed with their clarity of thought and effective presentation. The kids are part of what's known as the Zoo Academy and actually attend classes at our world-class zoo and aquarium here in Omaha, so they know of what they speak. Our own Pat Purkhiser, one of our most senior scuba instructors (and technician and salesguy and just a plain great guy all around) is also the lead instructor at the Zoo Academy, part of the Papillion-LaVista School District.

I'm very proud of what these kids are doing, as I am of Pat and his selfless dedication to education and ocean preservation.

Here's a link to some video from KETV (Pat's the handsome fellow with the very impressive mustache).

And here's a link to a story from one of our local newspapers.

Actually, we do have sharks here. The ones in the video all live in the aquarium at the Henry Doorly Zoo here in Omaha.

The world could use more people like these.

Thumbs up Nebraska !!!!!.....And Thumbs Up to Nebraska's unicameral legislature.....Too bad other states don't have the same......No state needs a Senate.........Would be a BIG cost savings to residents across the country..........!!!!!!!

Of course, I'm the lone voice on the prairie that says the Dakotas and Nebraska should really just be one big state. I mean, how much government do we need out here? I often tell people that I can stand on my roof and see Canada...or at least the barbed wire fence that's the only snowbreak between us and them. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom