Need some Tips on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaos in 1983!

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Roatan with 4 of my friends from March 14 - 18...none of us has ever been there...so I need some tips on where to stay...

We're looking for a place that's cheap but still nice and clean, no need for all inclusive resorts. A/C would be nice but it's not a must...it would be good if it was within walkable distance from restaurants and places to hang out & have fun...

I am the only one diving...so it would be nice if it was also close to dive shops...I also need some advice on which dive shop I should dive with, where to dive and the average price for a dive...

Thanks a bunch...

a place that's cheap but still nice and clean:
Do a search here and on GOOGLE Groups using search words that include "West End". This is the only area of Roatan that suits your description.

There's a lot of information already posted about your trip. Have FUN!

Take lots of deet and watch out for the no-see-ums. Friends tell me they are a pain in the *+#! What about it RoatanMan

5615mike:
Take lots of deet and watch out for the no-see-ums. Friends tell me they are a pain in the *+#! What about it RoatanMan

I really have never been bitten in the *+#! It's only a matter of time.

Alas, if but not for the Sand Flies it would be Cayman. (not such a good thing, to some, anyway) All such locales along the Caribbean/Bahamian/Keys/Coz/South America area have Sand Flies. They are also known as No-See-Ums, Garipatas, and Sand Fleas.

Whatever you call them, the Bay Islands have the best ones, by far.

I drink Flor-de-Cana rum: 3 ounces mixed with 1/2 ounce of 100% Deet. :evilbunny: Stirred, not sloshed. This, I am aware, is an acquired taste. It takes about three doses before they'll steer away to a new tourist.

DEET and Benadryl (or the cheaper MalWart Equate Brand alternative) has saved many a trip. Use the DEET when getting off of the boat and also when leaving your room. It makes an excellent sun tanning oil (no SPF value whatsoever) and some folks find rubbing up against the well drenched bodies of their signifigant other to be quite--- well, you get the picture.

The bugs like wet or moist decaying wood and vegetable matter. This could be anywhere ocean waves slosh or rinse tanks slop. Shoreline walking,Gear Rooms and Sun Decks are notorious feeding grounds. Everybody spends way too much time feeding the little buggers at those locations. DEET up or move on!

If they get you anyway, Benadryl will not only make you snoozy (I have yet to see anyone fall asleep while diving) , but it will get rid of the itch---- which kicks in pretty predictably at 0400 hrs while your honey-bunny is sleeping quietly beside you. How come they don't "bug" her? Maybe it's all of that garlic and Salva Vida Beer? Whew!

The Benadryl lotion is also a nice soothing application, or you can get Cactus Juice Soothing Gel. (I'm not so sure about their repellant version).

I have seen a gal that wears Flea Collars on her ankles, but it reminds me of Bill Murray's line in Caddy Shack about 'barking like a dog', but I digress.

The latest Darwin research on the Sand Fly evolutionary process has shown that Avon Skin-So-Soft is the rough equivelant to steroids for these bugs. This folklore must die.

Come to visit- the bugs need new blood. Besides- you'll be underwater most of the time, anyway.

[do an internet as well as general search here for mountains of advice, folklore and free advice on this matter as well]

So the "West End" the place where all the partying happens?...cool that narrows it down quite a lot...I think I'm familiar with what you call Sand Flies, are those the very small bugs that come out during sunset? or are those the no-see-ums?...I was in Utila and didn't have any problems with bugs at all...bugs are the least of my problems hehe...besides I'm from Nicaragua so I'm kinda used to the weather and the bugs...and of course there's nothing a good drink of Flor de Caña can't fix hehe...

I tried searching for West End here, but I cannot use the word End 'cause the minimum word length is 4...I read a lot of posts about Roatan and places to stay on this board before I posted this, but most people ask about a place called Coco View or Fantasy Island, those are all inclusive resorts right?...I'm not looking for an all incluse resort...just a basic but still nice place more a la backpacker style...

I've read about this place called "Half Moon Bay Cabins" which has good prices, and this other place called "Coconut Tree"...anybody been there that might wanna share their experiences?

As for the diving...I'm just Open Water Certified, so I'm looking for pretty basic reef diving...where on Roatan is the best place to do this?

Chaos in 1983!:
So the "West End" the place where all the partying happens?...cool that narrows it down quite a lot...I think I'm familiar with what you call Sand Flies, are those the very small bugs that come out during sunset? or are those the no-see-ums?...I was in Utila and didn't have any problems with bugs at all
most people ask about a place called Coco View or Fantasy Island, those are all inclusive resorts right
As for the diving...I'm just Open Water Certified, so I'm looking for pretty basic reef diving...where on Roatan is the best place to do this?

I'll let others speak to the "ala-carte" options, as CoCoView, FIBR and Anthony's Key are indeed AI's. That's my area of intimate experience. I do like a cocktail on Half Moon Bay now and again- nice place!

No problems with bugs on Utila? You'll have no problem on Roatan. On the big island they are positively civilized in comparison! You may be a partyer as well- they come out again just after dawn--- as well as 16:30-18:30 hrs. You might have slept thru the dawn feeding :coke:

There is no diving in Roatan that you will be exposed to without fore-knowledge of challenges that you may wish to avoid- they have great divemasters! Good questions to ask: is this a drift dive or moored, is there current, etc. The simplest diving is indeed on the South side (FIBR, CCV and SubWay, etc.) and the most guaranteed calm conditions, too. The North side and many West end locations get "weathered out", but for your purposes (partying and some diving) this doesn't seem like too big a problem.

On the West end, be sure to try the food at the Argentinian BBQ and at the Garden of Eatin as well. There may be one or two bars in the area as well. :wink:

Chaos in 1983!:
I'm planning a trip to Roatan with 4 of my friends from March 14 - 18...none of us has ever been there....

Roatan is a wonderful place, especially for newbie diving. Been there for two different week-long stays, and look forward to returning. RoatanMan gave you some good suggestions, but I'd like to expand a bit. Some of this may be more important to those in your group who grew up in the relatively sterilized U.S.

DEET! Yep, often, or else. I kept a can in my room, another in my dive locker, and sprayed every time I left either. Helps with a lot of biting bugs. You don't need the strong stuff, as that last longer only if you don't get wet. Just use it often.

DON'T DRINK THE TAP WATER: :zahn: Or put in your mouth for any reason. Rinse your reg & snorkel mouthpieces with Listerine. One fellow in our group came back with Giardia! http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/giardia.html I use 3 drops of Clorox type laundry bleach per quart of water, waiting at least 30 minutes.

SUN BLOCK: :sun_smile Sun burns are too easy if you're not diving every chance you get ( like I do) and very painful.

BATS: :letsparty: They are your friends in the air, eating the mosquitoes. Don't touch one on the ground, though; RABIES is pretty common there.

MALARIA: The CDC recommends taking preventative meds. http://www.cdc.gov/travel/malinfo.htm

SEAT BELTS: Wear them on ground travel, as trauma units are not well developed there.

BOATS: Don't expect life preservers or fire extinguishers, as you'll be disappointed.

Have fun! :59: don

Try www.roatanet.com for places to stay in West End and the rest of the island. I'm going in a week and staying at Seagrape Plantation. I've never stayed there before so I can't recommend it one way or the other, but there are lots of choices in all budget ranges- have fun!

We have stayed with Fantasy Island and would stay there again, just be sure you know about the bugs, take repellent for the "no see ums". We used repellent every day and had no problem until we got back home and they must have even been in our clothes. Lots of people have welts - don't even think of walking on the beach barefooted. Maybe it's better at Anthonys Key - plus the dolphins are great. Ask around. Everything but the bugs was great about Fantasy Island. I am not sure that there are any resorts on roatan that aren't all inclusive. NO restaurants to speak of to go to except the hotels. I would not do Roatan any other way but all inclusive. WE went to town one day . . . wished we had stayed at the hotel. No town life to speak of, seriously.

scubajeanie:
We have stayed with Fantasy Island and would stay there again, just be sure you know about the bugs, take repellent for the "no see ums". We used repellent every day and had no problem until we got back home and they must have even been in our clothes. Lots of people have welts - don't even think of walking on the beach barefooted. Maybe it's better at Anthonys Key - plus the dolphins are great. Ask around. Everything but the bugs was great about Fantasy Island. I am not sure that there are any resorts on roatan that aren't all inclusive. NO restaurants to speak of to go to except the hotels. I would not do Roatan any other way but all inclusive. WE went to town one day . . . wished we had stayed at the hotel. No town life to speak of, seriously.

Hi Jeanie, and welcome to SB; you might go to http://www.scubaboard.com/f19.html and post an Introudction, so we can welcome you properly? :D

I've done FIBR a couple of times and love it, but I didn't think that it matched with the requests in panel #1 here. By the way, Roatan's sand bugs are a problem anywhere you have sand, and since FIBR has the nicest beach on the island, it has the most sand bugs.

don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom