Recent relocation and cheaper charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teljkon

Contributor
Reaction score
So I recently relocated to Oahu and I am looking for cheaper charters on the island. 100$ a dive is getting to be a little much is there not a boat out there that has a more reasonable rate. I know I can join a few clubs but most of those are threw dive shops. The two problems I have with dive shops are A: they do the same 4 dives over and over and B: I always seem to get screwed on my bottom time. I have great air utilization and it would be great to get on a charter that would give me more than 30 minutes. I figured out after my last dive with dive Oahu even if I added both dives together I payed like $1.96 a minute of bottom time. Same when I went out with Aarons. This is mostly because they are used to baby sitting people that are in on vacation and have not dove for months prior. That is good and very safety conscious it is just not for me. I had worked out a deal with a captain back in Florida so I was paying 60$ a charter plus gear had its own rate depending on what I took since I just use tanks and weights my dives were fairly cheap. I know everything is more expensive in Hawaii but not that much more expensive there has to be a boat some place that can give me a better rate and if not a better rate treat me like I know what I am doing!

Ill probably be diving once or twice a month so if there is a captain that wants to put buts in those seats pleas point me in there direction.

Thanks for the shout out akdeepdiver.
We do have a club https://www.facebook.com/groups/803025579723145/ which gets you discounts

But our Kama'aina rate is only $80 including tanks and gear (if needed) and we pride ourselves on finding new cool sites that most of the divers on the island don't even know about.
Check out our FB page and call me sometime (808) 232-3193 and I'm sure we can set something up for you

The Kilikina/Hawaiian Diving Adventures is awesome for the South Side wrecks and reefs, as well as for trying new spots. Strongly recommend them, and they've got in-house tank hydro/viz/O2 clean and 40% or less nitrox. And the Kilikina is a fantastic dive boat. Or you can get together some buddies and just hire the boat.

Gabe and Kaimana (who I think still run some club dives off the Kilikina as well as their own boat) are also great, but launch from Sand Island and can thus hit the South Side spots as well as a ton of cool stuff between Sand Island and Pinnacles/Navy Tug. One recent dive with them we saw three mantas in the middle of the day and then spent about an hour exploring a site that includes a 10' diameter pipe that runs for several hundred yards (venturing inside officially not suggested). Also strongly recommended, and their shop is very conveniently located in Honolulu. Kaimana is great about exploring the other sides of the island through shore dives or boat dives out of Waianae; not sure how much (if at all) their having their own boat will change the frequency of such excursions. On the plus side, their Nacho boat is huge and has a ton of space. Last step up from the ladder is a bitch in doubles though :wink:

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 03:44 PM ----------

I should mention, though, that Aaron's is a great shop in terms of having actual divers who know what's up working there, and the $100/yr membership will pay for itself very quickly given it gets you 2x tank fills a day of air, 32%, or 36%. The nitrox savings are reason enough to be a member there.

Sent from my Shearwater Petrel using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom