Utila vs. Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arsalan Ahmed

Contributor
Reaction score
So it appears both will cost me around the same amount though getting to Utila requires a bit more coordination.

My biggest interest are colored and lively coral, lots of fish life and 50+ visibility. I've been dying to see whale sharks but I've heard that even if i make 10 dives in Utila, there is a low chance of ever seeing one.

My trip will be in either July or August. I'm wondering which location you guys would recommend. If I do not see any whale sharks in Utila, would you recommend Cozumel over it?

Thanks

do you want a "neatly packaged" mexican town, with lots of amenities, lots of package tourists, señor frogs, hard rock cafe's et al and nice diving. or do you prefer a place thats looks like cozumel in 1970, with no slick accommodation or restaurants, mostly a backpacker crowd, comparably nice diving and a small chance you'll get to snorkel with a whale shark?
it all depends on what you want out of a trip.

Utopia Dive resort typically offers boat/shore dive packages and they coordinate the transfer from Roatan to Utila. In a 7 night stay they offer 5 days of two tank dives and have unlimited shore diving. The house reef is very nice and has a 50-60 foot wall about 70 yards off shore. Well off the beaten path too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom