Button Gauge on Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're too failure prone for my liking. Also, a small brass 'n glass is easier to locate - you need that something to 'find' with your fingers.

Good points, I was just trying to think of a way to not have the gauges either sticking out in front of you where they are in the way (IMO) or laying flat against the tank where you have to bend them up to look at.

Laid flat, it's just a case of developing muscle memory to retrieve and read them. Just like backmount, when the SPG is clipped to the left hip D-ring. It's a practicable skill that becomes second nature.

I'm not a fan of 'lollipop' gauges either "sproing!"

If you like them facing forward, angle the first stage in towards midline of your body instead of running them straight up and down relative to the bottle. So the left 1st stage angles to the right relative to the bottle, right 1st stage angles to the left.

How much angle the 1st stages need depends on your body size. But you can get the SPGs to contour so they sit against your chest.

If sidemounting is being used for open water diving where you need to be back on the boat with 1000psi,then yeah it could be used,but not the best choice. If this is technical diving with gas management integral to the dive plan,then absolutely inapproriate. I have been sidemount for 10 years or more,and have used different configurations,such as having the 6" hose angled down toward the side of the tank,but my present configuration,which has them up and angled in puts both spgs at midsternum.

I have a button on my pony but it is a slung pony so the gauge is up close to my face.

I have a button on my pony bottle as well and it works fine for me as well. Which 1st stages are ya'll using to get the gauges to angle in towards your chest/midsternum?

I presently have the new Hollis DC 7 which I like a lot but I also have the M25's. Neither seem to put the SPG out of the way since I like to have my tank knobs in my arm pits.

I have DIN regulators (Dive Rite and Scubapro, brand not important for this discussion,) DIN regs can be angled easily.

I have a button on my pony bottle as well and it works fine for me as well. Which 1st stages are ya'll using to get the gauges to angle in towards your chest/midsternum?

[\QUOTE]

I use Apeks with the valves turned out and turn the first stage to about 45 degrees. This puts the gauges right against the chest.
Picked it up from a Brain Kauck(sp?) video.
P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with little keypad and big fingers- now Free

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom