Tough choice on where to go in April 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norinori

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are trying to plan a diving trip to the Philippines in April and having a really tough time deciding where to go!

We are looking for 5-6 days of diving. Originally I wanted to go to Raja Ampat, but the total costs would be too much. I ideally I would like to find a place that is beautiful and has great diving. We aren't big party people so quiet place is just fine for us. I'm keen to see both pelagics and great macro, not super keen on wreck dives.

So far we are considering staying in Dauin, doing the dives there and Apo Island, considering Mike's beach resort or Atmosphere. Alternatively, I've heard that Apo reef is fantastic, and I've been recommended to stay at Apo reef club - though from what I understand the best way to do the reef would be to do an overnight boat trip ?

How have these two locations been affected by Haiyan ? -- I know Apo reef is considerably farther from where the storm touched down.

Also, my wife and I are considering getting our AOW during this trip.

Any recommendations between the two locations, or if there is somewhere else that would better suit our needs ?

I don't think both places can offer much for pelagic, you have to be extremely lucky!!
Malapascua is my suggestion but the Monad Shoal, for thresher shark, is only suitable for AOW because of the depth. Nitrox could further extend your bottom time provided you have enough gas to last the pace!! You can enquire the possibility of a 15L tank but not all the operators have them.

Thanks, yea I've not considered Malapascua because we don't have our AOW - and not 100% sure we will get it. I'm thinking about doing the trip to Oslob from Dauin to see the whale sharks which might feed my need for pelagics

Thanks, yea I've not considered Malapascua because we don't have our AOW - and not 100% sure we will get it. I'm thinking about doing the trip to Oslob from Dauin to see the whale sharks which might feed my need for pelagics
I hate the shore dive in Dauin when the tidal surge is big. Day trip to Apo Island or Siquijor is time consuming.
Would you consider Moalboal as the sardines are back? It is only 2hrs away from Cebu City and Oslob is just round the corner(couple of hrs).
Dauin is for macro but I prefer the walls in Moalboal and Pescado Island.

If you are interested in Apo perhaps have a look at this place - I was considering a few days there but couldnt stretch the time out - had good reviews from the dive op I was diving with in Sabang -

http://www.pandan.com/apo-reef

I think i'm leaning against Apo reef now because most of what I read said that its a long day trip from a resort, and I'm not sure the wife would be ok on a liveaboard

---------- Post added January 26th, 2014 at 10:32 PM ----------

I hate the shore dive in Dauin when the tidal surge is big. Day trip to Apo Island or Siquijor is time consuming.
Would you consider Moalboal as the sardines are back? It is only 2hrs away from Cebu City and Oslob is just round the corner(couple of hrs).
Dauin is for macro but I prefer the walls in Moalboal and Pescado Island.

hmm I hadn't looked at Moalboal - how does it compare to Apo island ? or bohol for that matter ?

I definitely prefer more coral over muck diving so that does have me sort of questioning Dauin...

If you are into muck and macro have you thought about Puerto Galera ? you could do a day to Isla Verde also..close to Manila.

hmm I hadn't looked at Moalboal - how does it compare to Apo island ? or bohol for that matter ?
I definitely prefer more coral over muck diving so that does have me sort of questioning Dauin...
If the sardines are around then Moalboal is great otherwise it is wall dive all the way. The coral is healthy and turtles are regularly sighted.
Bohol does offer much better top-side attraction. The school of "jack" is interesting in Balicasag. Unfortunately Alona Beach is getting too crowded and nosiy at night. There are alternative near-by.
Apo Island is a small island and you might get bore at night.
All these three places offer good diving for everyone.
If you must include Oslob at the end then Moalboal is the closest.

Are you sure you do not want to see thresher shark in Malapascua? Devil rays are also regularly sighted at Monda Shoal!!
Sogod Bay in Souther Leyte is another alternative for whaleshark!
So many places to choose!!!!

Apo Island is more about the beautiful coral and quantities of gorgeous sea life, but the currents can sometime bring you pelagics, certainly jacks will be seen. It is v.e.r.y. laid-back. Electricity goes off at 9:30 pm. You could try a couple of nights there coupled with Dauin for the muck diving. Or ferry over from Dauin to Bohol and go to Cabilao. Have not tried Cabilao myself but it is reputed to have pelagics as well as fabulous coral. It may also have electricity rationing these days -- check with operators. Lastly, Anilao is quiet and regularly shows up in Underwater Macro Photographers' finest shots. You have the option of a day trip out to Verde Island for the creatures that like currents.

Finally, again have not tried it, but Padre Burgos in southern Leyte is said to offer pelagics as well as attractive healthy coral. Contact resorts for guidance, but I understand they are open for business -- our friend who lives in Maasin near there certainly has a normal life back. Again, a quiet area.

If I do Apo Island, I think I'm more likely to stay in Dauin and do the trip over, the no electricity thing didn't seem too appealing to me.

How recovered is Malapascua - I know that the dive shops are back open, but how is the rest of the island ? (and I know it would be good to go and help contribute to the rebuilding)

---------- Post added January 27th, 2014 at 02:19 PM ----------

Padre Burgos looks pretty amazing, though it seems its a bit of a trek to get there, but there are whale sharks there as well.

Was it affected much by the storm ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom