Awesome wreck dive! Would anyone be interested?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am reading through the new edition of Chris Kohl's 100 Best Wreck Dives in Great Lakes and there is a wreck that I have not heard much talk of. If anyone has more info or if anyone would like to dive this then please let me know:

The ship is Rappahannock. Huge Wooden steamer (308 feet long) that sank on July 25, 1911. The place of sinking is now an abandoned Ghost town called Jackfish, Ontario. The ship began to take in water during a storm and the Captain attempted to run it aground in Jackfish Bay. 18 crew members jumped off and came on land.

This is a shore dive that starts from 35 feet and goes to 85 feet. The wreck is upright and mostly intact.

What makes it a great dive?

1. Shore dive
2. Large ship by wooden ship standards
3. Intact
4. Next to the ruins of an abandoned ghost town.

I was thinking if some folks are interested then we can load up some tanks and drive up there and dive the $h!t out of this wreck, take some really nice pictures and possibly shoot video.

Ideas?

I would have to plan it into a weeks vacation as it is about a 12 hour drive to get there. I think the nearest air fill station is a little over 2 hours away so would want to take all tanks needed to dive.
On a side note I have a friend that lives in Wawa Ontario that would jump at the chance to get together with you if you are in the area. Wawa is just under 3 hours to Jack Fish.
If you are making plans keep me posted.

I would have to plan it into a weeks vacation as it is about a 12 hour drive to get there. I think the nearest air fill station is a little over 2 hours away so would want to take all tanks needed to dive.
On a side note I have a friend that lives in Wawa Ontario that would jump at the chance to get together with you if you are in the area. Wawa is just under 3 hours to Jack Fish.
If you are making plans keep me posted.

Yes. The only way to do this would be to take 4 - 6 filled tanks because once these tanks are done the trip must come to an end. This is the reason why not many people seem to know about this wreck. I was wondering where would be the closest hotels in the area.

A lot of things would make this trip worthwhile for me. The lure of nearby Ghost Town, the chance to explore Trans-Canada highway and the wreck dive itself all come together in this so I would be game when the season gets better.

I was wondering where would be the closest hotels in the area.

Likely Marathon & Thunder Bay......

It seems this should be done in an RV, and with a compressor..... sans hotels (and you likely won't get a mint on your pillow either) :D

Depending on the timing, I might be able to join in. Especially if I can find a campsite in the neighbourhood.

I have an element which is designed for me to sleep in. I can bring a tent for added convenience. Compressor? That would be a great idea :D

Just did a quick google and that looks like a sweet dive. About a 13 hr drive for me but I'd lug tanks and camera gear out for it :)

i am looking seriously at this made,, a call to the thunderbay dive shop to talk to wally , i already have a compressor , portable nitrox blending and camping particulars , im looking at early aug (less bugs according to locals) after my ice dive course (2 weeks ) i will put more time into it ............steve

I'd be interested...especially in early August like abnfrg suggested. Would be awesome if he could come and bring a compressor.

so far this is what i have as a working plan ....i have 2 avon rubber rafts , a compressor , generator , gas blending kit (nitrox) , no hotel ....camping ...camera (35 mm film ) available 4 scooters available....the cost i would like to be around 400-500 dollars with unlimited shore diving no cost air , rebreather friendly (maybe rebreather rentals) maybe 1 day charter out of rossport to OUR location at jackfish .......steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom