Another Wednesday morning scooter dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadairiii

Contributor
Reaction score
Pulled the Suex xjoy14's out of the gear room and my buddies and I did a quick dive with Capt Conrad on the Miss Conduct in Pompano.

Great thing about Conrad is that he does not take you to the same spot every time, knows how to follow our torpedo float while we scooter and shuts the boat down on drops and pickups so there is absolutely no risk of injury due to the boat engaging.

He dropped us perfectly on the RSB-1 (with a current), we rolled, he handed us our scooters, we do a bubble check and still hit the wreck perfectly. Very few capt in South Florida can do that. We did a quick lap round the wreck then headed south to the reef to catch some bugs. Max depth on that deep ledge is about 120 in the sand, we were all on double alum 80's diving 30/30 trimix, nothing like a clear head to catch lobster. Within 20 min, we had 13 in the bag, turned the scooters west and hit the trigger. Rode them all the way to the second reef in 30' of water, passing sharks, sea turtles, schools of fish and all kinds of lost fishing gear and one more bug in about 60'. 72 min on the trigger and still surfaced with 1200 in our back gas, one of our guys was just getting cold, he gave the thumb and there is never a question, dive over.

Lots of laughs on the surface, who did what. Back at my office by 1 to get some work done.

Bucketofbugs_zps319d4406.jpg

Attachments

• Bucketofbugs_zps319d4406.jpg
    Bucketofbugs_zps319d4406.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 10
I swore I would never get a scooter.... but your reports here and other places is making me rethink that decision. Especially when I frequent Pompano most Feb.
Eric

I swore I would never get a scooter.... but your reports here and other places is making me rethink that decision. Especially when I frequent Pompano most Feb.
Eric

Come to the dark side......

Honestly, you need at least 5 dives on them to really appreciate their benefit. 1st couple of dives there is a sharp learning curve and you spend a good deal of the dive adjusting the ride and just getting comfortable with it. Plus getting over the novelty of their "coolness". After that, muscle memory takes over and they become an extension of yourself. You forget you are riding it and focus on all that stuff you would have missed but for the scooter.

O.K. if this going to turn into a dinner pic post fest, I will put up the pics from last September, and just for the record: I find no sport in catching anything that can not bite you back. Real lobstrosities have claws!
Eric

Sweet dive and sweet catch! Just ordered a CUDA 400 and should be here in a couple of days.

Here on Big Island Hawai'i the locals always ask us "wut you catch brah?" or "where yours spear brah?" my buddy and I dive rebreather and it would be a JOKE if we started spearfishing haha. Have seen some crazy big uh-hus (parrot fish) and trevally on our deep dives.

+1 for the dark side :wink:

Since getting my first scooter...it has changed my buddy's and me diving and plans. Simply love the DPV.

Since getting my first scooter...it has changed my buddy's and me diving and plans. Simply love the DPV.

Same here. I have 2, one for myself and my better half and our dive buddy dives with one as well. We have a blast and see a ton more sealife on every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom