Too good to be true? What's up with Western Union?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flesner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so I'm seeing an exchange rate from Western Union that is *better* than the default rate I'm seeing from google. Western Union is telling me 20.6 Lempira per dollar, google is telling me 19.9. This makes no sense to me. Western Union is supposed to be expensive.

I feel like surely I'm missing something.

Math isn't my strong suit, but isn't this the distinction of .7% of 5 Cents US?

They only want to charge me $10 to transfer $500, at an exchange rate that is actually *better* than the default exchange rate (even if only slightly).

What I would *expect* is either a much higher fee, or a much *worse* exchange rate. If what they're showing is true, this makes Western Union a way better option than pretty much anything else. I expect them to be way worse.

I have found, without a doubt, the best way to send money to Roatan is in my pocket

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 03:44 PM ----------

See you woke up in a good mood RTB :D:wink::D

Seriously, What does it matter? Western Union has been the choice of Islanders to send and receive cash for ages and in these small amounts it works great, I guess I miss the point of the post, maybe there are a lot of folks looking to wire money to the Island that this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom