flash issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toolboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Nikon D90 - a Nauticam case with ikelite strobe.
I used to have no problems with my flashes but on my last trib my flashes were so bright that all my pictures were white. Sometime must of changed somewhere either in my camera setting of flash settings, maybe my ITTL adapter, but I have no clue what that is..... Can someone give some idea of what it could be.
Thanks.

Please post a picture and the EXIF information from your camera. That will tell us the camera settings, including shutter speed and f-stop as well as ISO setting. If you go to the picture on your computer and right click, it will give you a dropdown menu that includes the camera settings in Properties>Details. Scroll down to camera settings (EXIF). It will tell you your model, flash settings, ISO, shutter speed, f-stop, etc.

It almost sounds lie your TTL failed (or was turned off) and you were shooting in manual. Presumably, you noticed the over-exposures while you were away.... What did you try to do to resolve?

IMG-20140209-00316.jpgIMG-20140209-00317.jpgIMG-20140209-00318.jpgHi thanks for responding... Here is a copy of my picture and deView attachment picture detail info.pdftailsDSC_1097.jpgView attachment picture detail info.docx

Hi, I thought if I was on "auto" setting on my camera that ISO and F setting did not come into play. That the camera automatically did it's thing..... So guess I have to review my camera courses.....

The problem is that the auto setting is setting the camera for ambient light. F2.8 1/250th should be fine if you want a blurred or black background on a macro shot, but ISO1600 is negating your fast shutter speed. Set your ISO to 200 and if you're shooting ttl, I'd suggest manual settings on the camera.
Start with about 1/125 F16 for small stuff and 1/80 F11 for portraits. For wide stuff, set your shutter speed for the background water color you want, then adjust your aperture for the foreground. Press the down arrow on your multiselector to give you a histogram with your replay and set your replay menu to show blown highlights. The histogram shouldn't extend out of the picture to the right and will be best if it peaks somewhere other than the far left or right. If you want more of an auto, use the P settings and once you get a good picture scroll up or down to emphasize shutter or f-stop. P will balance your settings and raise the shutter speed one stop for each lower f-stop or vice-versa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom