New artificial reef policy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They got it wrong. First off, I've been involved enough in the program north of the border to understand that ships must be painstakingly cleaned prior to sinking ... and a great deal of the recyclable material comes off before the ship is scuttled.

Second off, the jobs bit is a red herring ... our state just decommissioned three ferries, and they ended up towing them to Mexico ... which is where they'll be dismantled, in a country that has no environmental laws. The same thing happens to other decommissioned ships in Third World countries all over Asia and the South Pacific. Anybody who thinks these ships will end up creating recycling jobs in the USA is either kidding themselves or selling you something smelly.

I wonder who these people really work for ... and who really benefits from this act. Like everything our government does, the laws favor somebody who's putting money into the campaign coffers of career politicians ... usually at the expense of the public.

In this case, I really don't care ... I'll go spend my scuba dollars in Canada, diving their wrecks. I gave up on the hope that Washington state would see the light on that topic years ago.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scuttling ships in the last decade in Ontario, anyway, has been caught up in endless bureaucracy, unfortunately. There were ships available, there were locations picked out, but no scuttling of late. Scuttling shipwrecks would take some pressure off the natural and historical shipwrecks and create marine environments that could flourish, but the government doesn't seem to see it that way.

Over here we have a ship completely stripped of all contaminates and useful materials. However the crew that stripped it has been stuck in red tape for years to sink it. The crew responsible has already scuttled a military DDH 20 years ago, but now they are stuck in limbo. I want more intact wrecks to dive damn it.

Back
Top Bottom