Who wants to dive Cedarville?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Guys:

This thread is an off-shoot of the following one which ended with a lot of folks showing interest in Cedarville ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...-there-private-boat-diving-great-lakes-2.html

Basic info ...

Cedarville is one of the biggest wrecks in all the five great lakes. 588 foot long steel ship sank in 1965, taking down 10 out of the 35 crew-members. The cause of sinking was a collision with a Norwegian ship due to fog and radio communication problems caused by bad weather. Due to the size of the wreck, it is impossible to dive it in one dive. It is resting on its starboard side with its cargo of limestone spilled all over. The max depth is stated to be 106 feet.

If there is enough interest then we can put a scubaboard charter together preferably in May? Thoughts and ideas welcome.

Cheers -

CS

That area of the lake will be bloody cold in May... I expect to be up that way in August... There are several charter boats operating out of that area, by the way.

Some of the other wrecks worth checking out include: Eber Ward, Sandusky, and the Uganda (but this one is deep).

Since I was a participant in the previous thread I thought I would post my thoughts: I would like to go dive it with you, but it's just outside of my comfort zone depth wise and I would need a drysuit up there in May, which i do not own or have any experience with.

I hope you get a trip going to dive it, that part of the state is worth a visit.

Maybe next time.
Jerry

That area of the lake will be bloody cold in May... I expect to be up that way in August... There are several charter boats operating out of that area, by the way.

Some of the other wrecks worth checking out include: Eber Ward, Sandusky, and the Uganda (but this one is deep).

Thanks for confirming my greatest fear (i.e May = brrrrr.) I am open to other months as well except August. There is another trip being planned for Jackfish Bay Ontario and the dates for those need to be finalized but they would be in August. Anything other than August is fine with me.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2014 at 09:48 PM ----------

Since I was a participant in the previous thread I thought I would post my thoughts: I would like to go dive it with you, but it's just outside of my comfort zone depth wise and I would need a drysuit up there in May, which i do not own or have any experience with.

I hope you get a trip going to dive it, that part of the state is worth a visit.

Maybe next time.
Jerry

Hey Jerry. If you are AOW certified, then you may be able to dive this with drysuit course and a few practice dives with a drysuit. Chris Kohls book lists this as an intermediate dive. There is some structure above 40 feet but most of the wreck is in the AOW depth.

If someone who has already been on that wreck could comment more on the depth and dive conditions that would help.

I dove Cedarville in end of May timeframe. As was mentioned, this is big wreck and IMO the stern section is more interesting, plenty to see starting 40 ft if I remember correctly. No need to go all the way to the sand. As far as water temp, I think dry suit is the way to go. Other than that, viz can be challenging, we had probably around 30ft but it was just that day.

Another factor might be the current, those are the Straits, west wind will run water thru the channel. But that's the nature of local diving, you won't know until you jump in :) As Steve (Doppler) mentioned there are more excellent wrecks to explore in this area if you already made the effort to get there and have a charter arranged. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would second or third the chilly May condition warnings. Shoot for June or July. July, if your doing it in a wetsuit. I also agree no need to go to the mud. Lots to see between 50-80', on both the stern and bow. The vis on the C'ville is never as good as it is on most of the other wrecks in the Straits. 30-40' vis is average. Also, as it is almost upside down, it can be dark. Bring a light. I also second or third the recommendation to check out some of the other wrecks up there too. You could easily do a three day trip up there and get a bunch of great dives in.

Yes. June or July seems to be the best time frame even though I dive dry. When you say 30 - 40 vis is average, are you talking about Cedarville or the other wrecks with better vis?

May is a great time to dive actually.

You can get near Caribbean water visibility on deeper wrecks, thanks to the lack of algae bloom, lack of particulate, and lack of boat traffic. Especially if the week is calm weather leading up to the dive.

Water temp would probably be about 42F?

Viking Extreme + Halo 3D + Xerotherm + 12mm hood + dry gloves...I could care less what time of year the dive is!

If it is only 42f then I can manage. I have the drysuit and thermals that can take that temperature pretty well.

When you say 30 - 40 vis is average, are you talking about Cedarville or the other wrecks with better vis?
30-40' vis is average for the C'ville. The C'ville isn't know for great vis, but she's big, so you can only take in a little at a time anyway. It is a great wreck! I think it is the way she sits and the prevailing wind and current flow.

The vis is usually better, 50-70', on most of the other wrecks up there. That all said, all of this is very weather dependent and can change day to day.

There is a lot to do up there après-diving. Mack Island, Icebreaker Mackinaw, Mack City lighthouse museum, Valley Camp ship museum in the Sault...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom