How to safely secure Ikelite housing for Canon G16 during dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blesse

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie in UW photography. I've just purchased a non TTL Ikelite housing. Is there a way to secure the housing by attaching a lanyard instead of purchasing a tray? I don't want my camera to flow away with the current by accident :(

I think you'll probably find that the tray/handles serve a couple purposes. First, you can handle the assembly much easier with the tray/handles then just the housing alone. Eventually when you add strobes/ focus lights/ video lights, you'll need to mount those. The tray also serves to add a little ballast to the housing as well as providing a good anchor point for a lanyard.

If you remove the plastic piece on either side of the back cover it has slots in it for attaching something. My dad has on older Ikelite housing that came with a lanyard already installed there. I have the same housing as you, I'm just going to run some cave line through it and attach a large bolt snap.

Yeah, you'll probably need a tray for strobes sooner or later, anyway. And besides, the tray is real handy for fighting off sharks.

I'm going to try screwing balls directly into the bottom of the housing to mount my arms. I just downgraded from a dSLR, so I want to try keep this rig as compact as possible.

Thanks for the tips everyone :) I temporary have a lanyard attached to the latch, while trying to figure out how to get the tray send to me.

Going from the latch is a really bad idea. Won't take much to pop that latch and flood your camera....

Going from the latch is a really bad idea. Won't take much to pop that latch and flood your camera....
In that case eye bolt or screw threaded into one of the holes where the tray attaches.

Yeah, I thought of that too. Don't want to risk it, and glad I've found a dealer who can arrange the tray to be delivered to me. Should be getting it by next week.

In that case eye bolt or screw threaded into one of the holes where the tray attaches.

Getting the tray soon. Thanks for the tips tho :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom